Circulation Around an Airfoil and Starting Vortex

In summary, Kelvin's circulation theorem states that the properties of a fluid traveling along a given curve will remain constant at all points along that curve. In the context of an airfoil, the circulation around the airfoil is directly related to the circulation of the starting vortex. As the airfoil causes a change in circulation, a vortex is created to compensate for this change. In a steady state flying mode, the circulation remains constant and no additional vortices are generated.
Plasmosis1

Homework Statement

Using Kelvin’s circulation theorem, find the qualitative and quantitative relation between the circulation around an airfoil and the circulation of the starting vortex.

Homework Equations

Kelvin's circulation theorem: DΓ/Dt=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to begin because I'm not given any information to work with. I don't even know what kind of airfoil or any flow conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only information I can give you is that to the degree that I understand it, Kevin's theorem basically states that for any given curve the properties of the fluid traveling along that curve will be constant at all points along that curve.

Beyond that, I hope that someone on our forum more knowledgeable on the subject can expand on how that relates to the problem given to you.

Plasmosis1 said:

Homework Statement

Using Kelvin’s circulation theorem, find the qualitative and quantitative relation between the circulation around an airfoil and the circulation of the starting vortex.

Homework Equations

Kelvin's circulation theorem: DΓ/Dt=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to begin because I'm not given any information to work with. I don't even know what kind of airfoil or any flow conditions.

With the circulation Γ the lift of an airfoil (or of a spinning cylinder, etc.) can be calculated. It is defined as the closed-loop integral of the velocity at the surface of the airfoil. Due to friction and inertia the fluid is deflected at the airfoil and will leave the surface parallel to its rearward edge (with no seperation/Kutta-Joukowski condition). Calculating the circulation of this situation Γ≠0 - that means it is a difference for a particle wheter it flows on the one side or on the side of the airfoil, so what happens is dependent on the chosen way: The velocity field around the airfoil is not nonrotational, so a vortex is created. As Kelvin’s circulation theorem states that dΓ / dt = 0 and with starting (or variable) air flow the circulation around the airfoil will change (let's assume in the time Δt the change of the circulation was +ΔΓ), there also has to be a circulation -ΔΓ to fulfill Kelvin's theorem. That's what happens during the start of an airplane. When it accelerates the circulation around the wings changes and to "compensate" it another vortex rotating in the opposite direction has to be created - the starting vortex. In steady state flying mode the circulation around the wings is supposed to be constant, as no change occurs no "counter-vortices" are generated.

Γ = (closed-loop)∫ v ⋅ dx (around the airfoil surface)

The questions seems to be rather general, so the answer must be quite general too.

Related to Circulation Around an Airfoil and Starting Vortex

1. What is an airfoil?

An airfoil is a shape designed to produce lift when air flows over it. It is commonly used in aircraft wings, but can also be found in other applications such as wind turbines.

2. What is circulation around an airfoil?

Circulation around an airfoil is the flow of air around the surface of the airfoil. This circulation is caused by the difference in air pressure above and below the airfoil, resulting in a lifting force.

3. What is the starting vortex?

The starting vortex is a swirling flow of air that forms at the trailing edge of an airfoil when it first starts to move through the air. It is a result of the airfoil's shape and the difference in air pressure around it.

4. How does the starting vortex affect lift?

The starting vortex can increase the lift generated by an airfoil by creating a low-pressure region above the airfoil. This helps to further increase the difference in air pressure and therefore the lifting force.

5. How is circulation around an airfoil and the starting vortex calculated?

Circulation around an airfoil and the starting vortex can be calculated using mathematical equations and the principles of fluid dynamics. Factors such as air density, airfoil shape, and angle of attack are taken into account to determine the circulation and resulting lift force.