Why is there circulation around a wing?

• Thread starter hyurnat4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circulation
In summary, the author provides an explanation for why a wing can create a circulation around it. They state that this is due to the fact that a finite body surrounded by fluid permits velocity fields with singularities which would lie within the body.
hyurnat4

Homework Statement

From my notes: "In an irrotational flow, Γ = 0 for any curve lying wholly within the fluid. But circulation around a wing (airflow) is possible! Why?"

The Attempt at a Solution

The obvious answer is that the air around the wing isn't irrotational. But that seems a bit too simple: they're implying that there's a possible contradiction here. I suspect that the answer is in Bernoulli's or Euler's equations, which I've heard are linked to why planes fly. But that's well ahead in my notes and I don't understand any of that yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I sailed, I took great advantage of Czeslaw A. Marchaj's aerodynamics that used circulation around the entire sail-plan. Sail Performance, Techniques to Maximize Sail Power, Revised edition. (London: Adlard Coles Nautical, 2003.)

hyurnat4 said:
"In an irrotational flow, Γ = 0 for any curve lying wholly within the fluid.
I'm no expert on this, but I always thought the condition was that the curve did not go around any point that was not part of the flow. I.e. you could embed the curve in a 2-D simply connected manifold that was entirely contained in the flow.

In this case "circulation" doesn't mean that the same parcel of air flows all the way around the wing, it's more of a reference to the relative flows at the front, rear, top, and bottom of a wing.

hyurnat4 said:
The obvious answer is that the air around the wing isn't irrotational. But that seems a bit too simple: they're implying that there's a possible contradiction here.

So then explore why the flow is not irrotational. Do you know what is required in order for a flow to be irrotational?

I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex#Irrotational_vortices, which supports the explanation I gave at post #3:
"For an irrotational vortex, the circulation is zero along any closed contour that does not enclose the vortex axis and has a fixed value,".
Since the wing may effectively represent a vortex, a contour around the wing can have a nonzero circulation.

haruspex said:
I'm no expert on this, but I always thought the condition was that the curve did not go around any point that was not part of the flow.

This is the case. A finite body surrounded by fluid permits velocity fields with singularities which would lie within the body. Such as: [tex]
\mathbf{u}(x,y) = - \frac{k(y - y_0)}{2\pi ((x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2)}\mathbf{e}_x + \frac{k(x - x_0)}{2\pi ((x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2)}\mathbf{e}_y[/tex]for constant [itex]k[/itex].

Exercise for the OP: calculate the circulation of this field on a curve consisting of a circle of radius [itex]a > 0[/itex] centered at [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex].

Related to Why is there circulation around a wing?

1. How does a wing create lift?

A wing creates lift through a combination of the Bernoulli effect and Newton's third law of motion. As air flows over the curved surface of a wing, it speeds up and creates an area of lower pressure. This lower pressure causes the wing to be pushed upwards, creating lift.

2. Why is there circulation around a wing?

Circulation around a wing is caused by the difference in air pressure above and below the wing. As air flows over the curved surface of the wing, it creates an area of lower pressure above the wing and an area of higher pressure below the wing. This pressure difference causes air to flow around the wing, creating a circulation pattern.

3. How does the angle of attack affect circulation around a wing?

The angle of attack, or the angle at which the wing meets the oncoming airflow, affects circulation around a wing. As the angle of attack increases, the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wing increases, causing the circulation to become stronger. This increased circulation results in greater lift.

4. Is circulation the same on both sides of a wing?

No, circulation is not the same on both sides of a wing. The circulation around a wing is stronger on the upper surface due to the curved shape of the wing and the Bernoulli effect, which results in lower pressure on the top of the wing. This difference in circulation contributes to the creation of lift.

5. How does the shape of a wing affect circulation?

The shape of a wing greatly affects circulation around it. A curved shape, such as that of an airfoil, creates a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wing, resulting in stronger circulation and greater lift. A flat or symmetrical wing shape does not create as much of a pressure difference and therefore has less circulation and lift.