Circular Motion Conceptual Physics - Space Station

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the weight of a person standing within the rim of a circular space station with a radius of 8784 meters, revolving at 290 m/s. The solution involves finding v^2/r and comparing it to g, the acceleration due to gravity. The final step is to use the conversion factor to determine the person's weight in this accelerating environment.
Dysprositos

Homework Statement

Suppose you are standing within the rim of a circular space station, in outer space. The rim revolves around the center of the space station at 290 m/s. If the radius of the station is 8784 meters, what will you weigh? (Hint: Find v^2/r and compare it to g.)

Homework Equations

v^2/r=a
F=m*v^2/r
a=(4╥^2)/t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

2902 m/s /8784 m =9.57 m/s2 What do I do with this now?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I quote from your original statement of the problem:
(Hint: Find v^2/r and compare it to g.)

Since you've done the first part, now go for the second.

ok. How do I compare it to g? Isn't 9.57 m/s2 g? I know the acceleration of gravity on Earth is 9.81 m/s2. I am stuck on how I am supposed to compare it to find my mass?

Right, g is ~9.81m/s^2. And for your acceleration, you get 9.57m/s^2. How do the two compare? You're looking for a statement like: The acceleration is .75 x g (.75 made up), or simply .75g. And since g determines weight on earth, you can figure out your "weight" in this accelerating environment from the same conversion factor.

Nabeshin said:
Right, g is ~9.81m/s^2. And for your acceleration, you get 9.57m/s^2. How do the two compare? You're looking for a statement like: The acceleration is .75 x g (.75 made up), or simply .75g. And since g determines weight on earth, you can figure out your "weight" in this accelerating environment from the same conversion factor.
Okay thanks a lot!:smile:

Related to Circular Motion Conceptual Physics - Space Station

1. What is circular motion in the context of conceptual physics?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant. In conceptual physics, circular motion is often used to describe the motion of objects in space, such as a space station orbiting around the Earth.

2. How does the concept of circular motion apply to the space station?

The space station is in a state of constant circular motion as it orbits around the Earth. It is constantly changing direction, but the distance from the Earth remains the same, resulting in a circular path. This is due to the gravitational pull of the Earth, which keeps the space station in its orbit.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of the space station, the centripetal force is provided by the gravitational pull of the Earth. Without this force, the space station would continue moving in a straight line and eventually leave the Earth's orbit.

4. How is the speed of the space station related to its circular motion?

The speed of the space station is directly related to its circular motion. As the space station moves in a circular path, its speed remains constant, but its velocity (speed and direction) is constantly changing. This is because the direction of the space station is constantly changing as it orbits around the Earth.

5. Can the concept of circular motion be applied to other objects in space?

Yes, the concept of circular motion can be applied to other objects in space, such as planets orbiting around the sun. In fact, the entire solar system is in a state of circular motion as all the planets orbit around the sun. Additionally, satellites and other space objects also exhibit circular motion as they orbit around larger bodies in space.