Circular Diffraction Patterns: What is the Correct Diameter of the Slit?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the diameter of a slit based on circular diffraction patterns. The formula used is w=2.44(lambda)(L)/D, and the value of D is found to be 0.120mm after rounding off. The person asking for help initially got the wrong answer due to a mistake in decimal placement, but was able to correct it with the help of Doc Al.
Brown Arrow
Circular Diffraction Patterns HELP!

Homework Statement

4rxe2s.jpg

Homework Equations

theata_1=1.22(lambda)(L)/D L distance from screen, D diameter of slit

w=2.44(lambda)(L)/D

The Attempt at a Solution

so this is what i did not sure where i went wrong maybe at rounding off...

w=2.44(lambda)(L)/D

(10.3/1000)=92.44)(633*10^(-9))(0.8)/D

solving for D i got the diameter to be the following

D=0.119962...mm

i rounded off to three significant figure

D=0.120mm is this correct b/c when i did this i got it wrong, could some one tell me where i went wrong this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Brown Arrow said:
D=0.120mm is this correct b/c when i did this i got it wrong, could some one tell me where i went wrong this.
I agree with your answer.

ok ill try it again and see if it works

before you try it a again, there's an option to check what you put as your last answer, ^ might want to check that first before using an attempt

it worked, before i messed up the decimal place, now correct,

Thanks for helping Doc Al
Brown arrow.

Related to Circular Diffraction Patterns: What is the Correct Diameter of the Slit?

1. What is a circular diffraction pattern?

A circular diffraction pattern is a type of diffraction pattern that is formed when a beam of light or any other type of wave passes through a circular aperture or diffracting object. The resulting pattern consists of concentric circles of alternating bright and dark regions.

2. How are circular diffraction patterns formed?

Circular diffraction patterns are formed due to the phenomenon of diffraction, which occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or passes through an opening. The circular shape of the pattern is a result of the circular shape of the aperture or diffracting object.

3. What factors affect the appearance of circular diffraction patterns?

The appearance of circular diffraction patterns is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the diffracting object, the wavelength of the incident wave, and the distance between the diffracting object and the screen where the pattern is observed.

4. What is the significance of circular diffraction patterns?

Circular diffraction patterns are important in the field of optics and are used to study the properties of light and other types of waves. They also have practical applications in various fields, such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and astronomy.

5. Can circular diffraction patterns be observed with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, circular diffraction patterns can be observed with other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. However, the appearance of the pattern may differ depending on the properties of the specific wave and the diffracting object.