Circuits - DC Power pack (6-pin) questions?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving potential differences between different pins in a circuit. The person asking for help is unsure about the reference point for comparison and the correct way to interpret the circuit. Another person provides guidance and confirms that the answers are correct. They also discuss the concept of a ground being necessary for a circuit and how to determine the potential between -12V and COM.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

mcummq.jpg

Homework Equations

While equations should be unnecessary to solve these questions, I am not sure if I have done so properly.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I placed my answers on the paper already. I am unsure about the potential difference between 12V and 5V, as since neither are grounded, I'm not sure how they have any frame of reference to compare to one another. I'm also not sure about the next 2 questions since only the 5V pin is grounded, but I feel based on my familiarity with circuitry, so long as the 5V and 12V were attached to each other, my answers are correct. Any advice on the right way to look at these (or if I am looking at them wrong and got any wrong answers) would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
smart questions...
look at it this way. If there are 12V between +12 and com, and there are 5V between +5 and com, then there will be 7 v (like you said) between +12 and +5. in order for a voltage to be "12V" it has to be "12V" above something else. Voltage is a relative measurement.

all your answers look correct!

Likes Ascendant78
Well thank you for the feedback. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at it correctly, as the whole concept of a ground being necessary in a circuit as a reference point and some of this not having that reference point threw me a bit off.

How did you determine (d), the potential between -12v and COM?

Likes Ascendant78
NascentOxygen said:

I think I messed up and thought the question was asking the same thing as (c), but with the -12V instead of 12V. After you made me take another look at it, I'm now thinking it should be -12V for (d).

How would you explain what circuit arrangement or connections lie behind the pin labelled GROUND?

NascentOxygen said:
oops, I didn't catch that either :/

Ascendant78 said:
I think I messed up and thought the question was asking the same thing as (c), but with the -12V instead of 12V. After you made me take another look at it, I'm now thinking it should be -12V for (d).
Yes, it is -12V.

Related to Circuits - DC Power pack (6-pin) questions?

1. What is a DC power pack?

A DC power pack is a device that converts AC power into DC power and supplies it to a circuit. It typically has a 6-pin connector that allows it to be easily connected to the circuit.

2. How does a DC power pack work?

A DC power pack works by converting the AC power from a wall outlet into DC power using a transformer and rectifier. The DC power is then regulated and supplied to the circuit through the 6-pin connector.

3. What is the purpose of a DC power pack in a circuit?

The purpose of a DC power pack in a circuit is to provide a stable and regulated source of DC power. This is necessary for many electronic devices to function properly, as they require a specific voltage and current to operate.

4. What are the key components of a DC power pack?

The key components of a DC power pack include a transformer, rectifier, voltage regulator, and output connector. Some power packs may also include other features such as overcurrent protection and short circuit protection.

5. How do I choose the right DC power pack for my circuit?

To choose the right DC power pack for your circuit, you need to consider the voltage and current requirements of your circuit. Make sure the power pack can supply the necessary voltage and current without exceeding its maximum ratings. You may also want to consider additional features such as efficiency and size.