Circuit that takes a pulse from a 555 chip

In summary, the circuit has a pulse from a 555 chip and goes through two divide by ten 7490 switchs to create a binary counter. The counter is displayed in regular leds, but we want to convert it to a 7 segment LED. We are looking for help converting the binary number into BCD and then using a 7447 to convert BCD to 7 segment.
Tom McCurdy
We currenlty have a circuit that takes a pulse from a 555 chip and goes through two divide by ten 7490 switchs to create a binary counter that counts up to ten. We are trying to figure out how to convert this binary which we have displayed in regular leds into a 7 segment LED - (LN514rk)

any help would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't remember the number but there is a seven segment driver made specifically for this. If you can't find this, set it up using gates to get 10 separate outputs and then diode or those to drive the 7 segment display.

You'll need to convert the binary number into BCD and then use a 7447 to convert BCD to 7 segment.

The easy way to convert binary to BCD is to find a 74185 but it has been discontinued. If you can't find that chip you can always program a ROM to do the conversion.

dduardo said:
The easy way to convert binary to BCD is to find a 74185 but it has been discontinued.
You could set up the 7490 to do a carry-reset on A(hex).

How would we set up the 7490 to do a carry-reset on A(hex)?

So the 7446 isn't the way to go on this circuit? We were debating between it and the 7447

Alright So what would I need to do if I can't find the 74185 circuit--- Right now again I have a 555 going to two 7490 integratded divide by 10 circuits--- and then I have access to 7447 and 7446 chips is there anything I can do with those to hook up to a 7 segment LED (LN514rk).

Tom McCurdy said:
How would we set up the 7490 to do a carry-reset on A(hex)?
Use an AND gate or two. There are a few ways to wire this, depending on the specific behavior you want.

The 7447 should be ok. IIRC the 46 takes a higher output.
The two numbers are much the same. Look up the specs.

BTW, is this counting 0-9 or 1-10?

Averagesupernova said:

You can display a "10" on the 7 bit display if you mentally rotate it. A 0 to 11 sequence is possible. I learned this by laying down on the job.:biggrin:

Averagesupernova said:
Laying down on the job :smile: :smile: :smile:
10 can be just about any value you can imagine.
Depends on the base you select. :biggrin:

ok i just now got acess to a 4511 integradted circuit so I am trying to figure out how to use it...

Related to Circuit that takes a pulse from a 555 chip

1. What is a 555 chip?

A 555 chip is a type of integrated circuit (IC) that is commonly used in electronic circuits to generate precise timing signals. It is a versatile and popular IC due to its low cost, ease of use, and ability to generate a wide range of frequencies.

2. How does the 555 chip work in a pulse circuit?

The 555 chip can be configured into different modes, but in a pulse circuit, it is typically set in astable mode. This means that the chip continuously switches between high and low states, creating a square wave output. The frequency of the square wave can be controlled by the resistors and capacitors connected to the chip.

3. What is the purpose of a pulse circuit with a 555 chip?

A pulse circuit with a 555 chip is commonly used in applications where a precise and periodic pulse signal is required. This can include applications such as blinking LEDs, generating clock signals, and controlling motors.

4. How do you connect a 555 chip to a pulse circuit?

The 555 chip has eight pins that need to be connected to other components in the circuit. The pins are labeled with numbers and functions, such as power supply, trigger, output, and reset. The correct connections will depend on the specific circuit design and the desired output.

5. Can a 555 chip be used as a pulse generator in all circuits?

While the 555 chip is a versatile and widely used IC, it may not be suitable for all pulse circuit applications. Factors such as the required frequency range, precision, and power supply limitations should be considered before using a 555 chip in a pulse circuit. Other types of ICs or discrete components may be better suited for certain applications.