Circuit Element Verification: BJT

In summary: No, it was not a voltage source. There were voltage sources, but he drew the capacitor similar to how these are drawn for the MOSFET, except it was a BJT and there was one capacitor. Unless he was meaning to draw a MOSFET and accidentally drew a BJT.
sandy.bridge
Hello all,
Just recently my one Professor has been depicting the BJT transistor with a capacitor joining the base and emitter portion of the transistor. The transistor is of npn configuration, however, he has yet to say anything regarding the capacitor. Is this "capacitor" a characteristic of the physical transistor, or..?
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a small capacitance in that position, but its effect is usually swamped by the forward biassed diode of the base emitter junction.

More likely, he is preparing to tell you about Miller Effect which is an amplified capacitance effect which severely limits the frequency response of audio amplifiers.

The base collector junction has capacitance and this is multiplied by the gain of the amplifier and it appears as a shunt capacitor across the input of the amplifier stage. Very large capacitances can be produced in this way and it is a serious effect.

No, it was not a voltage source. There were voltage sources, but he drew the capacitor similar to how these are drawn for the MOSFET, except it was a BJT and there was one capacitor. Unless he was meaning to draw a MOSFET and accidentally drew a BJT.
EET211-Ch6-Figure2.jpg

vk6kro said:
There is a small capacitance in that position, but its effect is usually swamped by the forward biassed diode of the base emitter junction.

More likely, he is preparing to tell you about Miller Effect which is an amplified capacitance effect which severely limits the frequency response of audio amplifiers.

The base collector junction has capacitance and this is multiplied by the gain of the amplifier and it appears as a shunt capacitor across the input of the amplifier stage. Very large capacitances can be produced in this way and it is a serious effect.
Interesting. Thanks! I couldn't seem to find anything regarding it.

Every pn junction has depletion capacitance and diffusion capacitance (for ac). No one attaches extra cap across base emitter. It shorts the ac path to ground.

sandy.bridge said:
No, it was not a voltage source. There were voltage sources, but he drew the capacitor similar to how these are drawn for the MOSFET, except it was a BJT and there was one capacitor. Unless he was meaning to draw a MOSFET and accidentally drew a BJT.
EET211-Ch6-Figure2.jpg

If this is a normal electronics class, I don't understand why he worry about the Cbe! The on resistance is so low that usually nobody ever worry about it. It is totally different from the MOSFET you show. For MOSFET, the Cds is everything, it is the limiting factor for speed and the drive requirement. But BJT is totally different animal. I have studied enough books to confirm this. Yes, there is always a capacitor there, but so what? If your transistor is running 1mA, the on resistance is only 26Ω, takes quite a capacitor to make any different on this baby.

The only thing that this might get important is only when you approach the [itex]f_T\;[/itex] of the transistor that the gain start to drop off because at that frequency the reactance of the Cbe get so low that Z=j26Ω and the gain roll off. But most transistor class don't talk about this. Confirm with the professor is this what he use it for, if not, there is no reason to consider this capacitor.

Last edited:
My notes have confirmed 4 instances where he has has drawn the capacitor as described. This class is also a digital design class

Have you tried asking your prof?

sandy.bridge said:
My notes have confirmed 4 instances where he has has drawn the capacitor as described. This class is also a digital design class

There is nothing wrong to draw the capacitor as it is really there! The question is did the professor tell you to worry about it or use it to do calculation? That's where both me and Vk6kro said the cap is not important even though it's there.

If it is a digital class, that already answer my question. He is not talking about [itex]f_T\;[/itex]. So just let it be there in the model. They still use BJT for digital IC? I thought that is so yesterdecade!

Related to Circuit Element Verification: BJT

1. What is a BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor)?

A BJT is a type of semiconductor device commonly used in electronic circuits. It is made up of three layers of doped semiconductor material and can function as an amplifier or a switch.

2. How does a BJT work?

A BJT works by controlling the flow of current between two terminals, called the collector and emitter, using a third terminal called the base. By applying a small current to the base, the BJT can switch a larger current between the collector and emitter on or off.

3. How can I verify the functionality of a BJT in a circuit?

The best way to verify the functionality of a BJT in a circuit is by using a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at each terminal. You can also check the datasheet for the BJT to ensure that it is being used within its correct operating parameters.

4. What are some common failure modes of a BJT?

Some common failure modes of a BJT include excessive current causing thermal runaway, voltage breakdown, and saturation. It is also possible for a BJT to fail due to manufacturing defects or physical damage.

5. Can a BJT be replaced with another type of transistor?

In some cases, a BJT can be replaced with a different type of transistor, such as a MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor). However, it is important to note that different transistors have different characteristics and may not be suitable for all applications. It is best to consult the circuit design and datasheet before replacing a BJT with another type of transistor.