Christmas Morning: Crescent Moon and Spica Star Encounter

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary, the conversation starts with the excitement of Christmas morning and a suggestion to look at the sky for a special sighting. Then, there are Christmas wishes and a suggestion for a fun activity with kids. The conversation then moves on to a discussion about time zones and how different countries celebrate Christmas. Some people share their Christmas traditions and others question the true meaning of Christmas. There is also a humorous debate about the existence of Santa Claus.
Mk
Yay It's Christmas!

Well, maybe not there yet, but here it is Christmas morning.

Also if you wake up around "5:30 a.m. on Dec. 25th, steal a glance out the window on your way to the tree. The crescent moon will be gliding by the bright star Spica--a pretty close encounter. In some places the moon will actually blot out the star. Check http://spaceweather.com for sky maps and more information."

Merry Christmas!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
[...]but here it is Christmas morning.

Where exactly are you located? :-p

I just found out, its like the Day BEFORE Christmas... ooohhhhhhhhhh!

Ooooooppps...

Last edited:
Merry Christmas To All of You, God Bless.:smile:

Merry Christmas everyone!

May this be a peaceful Christmas to everyone in the world, my wishes are specially tailored to all of those living in the third world.

Hope there will be no terrorist's attack.

Mk said:
I just found out, its like the Day BEFORE Christmas... ooohhhhhhhhhh!
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Merry Christmas to you, too!

By the way, here's a suggestion for next year:

After Thanksgiving, the rush is on toward Christmas. To keep kids from asking "How many days..." every day, let them make a paper chain with links that equal the number of days till Christmas. Each evening before bed remove one link. The shorter the chain, the closer Christmas gets. Very good for the wee ones to whom a number like 17 is meaningless, but they can see the chain shrinking.

Well in Guam, it's Sunday, December 25, 2005 at 4:11:05 AM

So Merry Christmas, Mk!

ooo...it''s Xmas Eve!

And still, the only presents under the tree aren't mine just my little cousin's, my brother's, and my parents'.

My little cousin is getting a Karaoke machine and I think muy mom is going to make me sing with him :mad:

Merry Christmas everyone!

On Christmas eve, my cousins and I made Christmas-themed pastries. The whole thing came in a box, pre-packaged with plastic Santas, sleds, reindeers, gummy candies, and a couple of other things. We used edible paste to hold everything together, and covered everything with "snow". It was great fun, even though only 10% of the whole thing was edible, the rest being plastic.

I guess that's the closest we will ever come to actually celebrating Christmas here in Brunei, where it's a secular holiday. Not much of a festive atmosphere here at the moment...how dull. :zzz:

Does anyone else here open presents after christmas eve dinner? As in...tonight?

What is the meaning of Christmas? Shopping spree? Or do you really remember and believe that Jesus dieing for your sin?

I open presents Christmas morning. And we're eating dinner on Christmas night.

What is the meaning of Christmas? Shopping spree? Or do you really remember and believe that Jesus dieing for your sin?
Most people don't celebrate Christmas because of Christ. It's a commercial holiday.

is that bad :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sprinter said:

Looks like someone hasn't seen "A Charlie Brown Christmas." :biggrin:

Though seriously, Christmas is usually a time when Christians celebrate the start of Jesus's life, where Easter is the time when they contemplate the death and resurection. At least, that's what we did in Catholic school.

Lies, all lies. What most people don't know is that Santa Claus is actually Jesus. Think about that one for a bit.

Santa Claus is fake, like the seven little dwarves of snowwhite.

I don't get Santa. What's so great about an old fat guy who empties his sack into you socks?

Where have I heard that.

Related to Christmas Morning: Crescent Moon and Spica Star Encounter

1. What is the significance of the crescent moon and Spica star encounter on Christmas morning?

The crescent moon and Spica star encounter on Christmas morning is significant because it is a rare celestial event that occurs only once every 19 years. This is due to the alignment of the Earth, moon, and Spica star in a specific position in the sky. It is considered a symbol of hope and new beginnings, making it a special event for many cultures and religions.

2. How often does the crescent moon and Spica star encounter happen on Christmas morning?

The crescent moon and Spica star encounter happens on Christmas morning once every 19 years, which is known as a Metonic cycle. This cycle is based on the lunar calendar, which is approximately 19 years long. This means that the next time this event will occur on Christmas morning will be in 2039.

3. Can the crescent moon and Spica star encounter be seen from anywhere in the world?

No, the crescent moon and Spica star encounter can only be seen from certain parts of the world. It depends on the position of the Earth in relation to the moon and Spica star. For example, this event will be visible in North America, Europe, and parts of Asia in 2020, but not in South America, Africa, or Australia.

4. Why is the crescent moon and Spica star encounter considered a rare event?

The crescent moon and Spica star encounter is considered a rare event because it only happens once every 19 years. This is due to the complex movements and alignments of the Earth, moon, and Spica star. Additionally, the visibility of this event depends on the weather and location, making it even more special when it can be seen.

5. Are there any cultural or religious celebrations associated with the crescent moon and Spica star encounter?

Yes, there are cultural and religious celebrations associated with the crescent moon and Spica star encounter. In some cultures, such as in China and Japan, this event is believed to bring good luck and prosperity. In Christianity, the star of Bethlehem, which is believed to have guided the three wise men to Jesus, has been associated with the Spica star. This event is also seen as a symbol of hope and new beginnings in many cultures and religions.