Christmas is here or I'm just getting old

• Thread starter misgfool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary, the speakers discussed buying a Christmas calendar and the tradition of opening a door each day until Christmas. They also mentioned different types of calendars, including ones with chocolate behind the doors. The conversation then shifted to discussing the holiday season and decorating for Christmas. One speaker shared a sad experience of having all their ornaments broken, while another mentioned the start of a new beginning. The conversation ends with a discussion about a dog named the Jaws of Death.
misgfool
So today it happened. I bought my first christmas calendar for this year. I went to the ATM and little scouts had it surrounded. It was like clockwork and done almost with military precision. Even my army training didn't help me see it coming. When I had withdrawn an abundant quantity of cash there was simply no way of that situation without buying the calendar. Well I guess it was for a good purpose.

I haven't been really into christmas since someone tried to tell me a lie that Santa didn't really exist. Hah. However, since I still keep getting these calendars I was wondering what to do with them?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's Xmas now.. at least in the US anyway.. :rolleyes: Btw, what's a Christmas calendar?? :confused:

noumed said:
It's Xmas now.. at least in the US anyway.. :rolleyes: Btw, what's a Christmas calendar?? :confused:

It is like a wallpaper which has doors for every day of December until the 24th day. You are supposed to open one door at the right day to see what appears from the calendar. Then the tension mounts of what awaits behind the 24th door. There are also chocolate calendars where there is chocolate piece behind every door. For some mysterious reason those calendars typically had all the doors opened way before the 24th day.

misgfool said:
It is like a wallpaper which has doors for every day of December until the 24th day. You are supposed to open one door at the right day to see what appears from the calendar. Then the tension mounts of what awaits behind the 24th door. There are also chocolate calendars where there is chocolate piece behind every door. For some mysterious reason those calendars typically had all the doors opened way before the 24th day.

Oh, those are sometimes called Advent Calendars.

Clever of those scouts to hang out near an ATM!

Save your 2008 calendar and reuse it in 2036. Now that's thrifty!

Advent Calendars! I recognize that! No wonder misgfool's description sounded so familiar...

You mean there are advent calendars that don't have chocolate behind the doors?

cristo said:

Yes, these must be some fitness calendars.

There are some advent calendars with a prune behind each door.

lisab said:
Clever of those scouts to hang out near an ATM!
Really! No telling them you don't have the money to buy their calendars!

cristo said:

How dare they! What's the point if there's no chocolate?

I was actually starting to feel in the mood for Christmas this week, but that's mostly because the temperature dropped to late December temperatures earlier in the week and we actually saw a few snow flurries. Plus, all the classes I teach end the first week of December. I'm used to classes ending closer to Christmas, so them nearly being over makes me feel like it should be Christmas time already. I guess I need to get through Thanksgiving first, but I'm sure the stores are already decorated for Christmas too, so it's tough. I love decorating for Christmas, so can never wait for Thanksgiving to start breaking out the ornaments.

Breaking ornaments. :cry: The JAWS OF DEATH broke every ornament I had collected my entire life!

A lifetime of meaning, of caring, of memories, all gone.

Evo said:
Breaking ornaments. :cry: The JAWS OF DEATH broke every ornament I had collected my entire life!

That's so sad! Orniments are like little memories!

...um, who/what is JAWS OF DEATH...?

Evo said:

This can also be a new beginning. A fresh start.

lisab said:
That's so sad! Orniments are like little memories!

...um, who/what is JAWS OF DEATH...?
The Jaws of Death was an insane, inbred Yellow Lab that the Evo Child just HAD TO HAVE. I was out of town on business for a couple of weeks and came home to find that a neighbor had given her this psycho dog. Who gives a small child a dog without the parent's approval?

Related to Christmas is here or I'm just getting old

What is the meaning behind "Christmas is here or I'm just getting old"?

The phrase is typically used to express a feeling of nostalgia or the passing of time during the holiday season. It can also refer to the realization that one is getting older and Christmas is a reminder of this.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of Christmas making people feel older?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support this idea. However, studies have shown that the holiday season can bring up feelings of nostalgia and reflection, which may contribute to a sense of aging.

Why do some people feel nostalgic during the holiday season?

Nostalgia is a common emotion during the holiday season because it is a time when people reflect on past memories and traditions. The holiday season often brings people together and reminds them of childhood experiences, which can trigger feelings of nostalgia.

Does aging affect how people experience Christmas?

Aging can affect how people experience Christmas in different ways. Some may feel a sense of loss or sadness as they reflect on past memories and traditions, while others may find joy in creating new traditions and spending time with loved ones.

How can people cope with feeling older during the holiday season?

One way to cope with feeling older during the holiday season is to focus on the present and create new meaningful traditions and memories. It can also be helpful to practice gratitude and focus on the positive aspects of aging, such as wisdom and growth.