Choosing the right professor to work with

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student working in a research position for a scientist. They only have contact with the professor when they have a question or are updating them with results. The speaker has made some mistakes in terms of organization and time management in their first research position. They feel that having the professor work in the same lab would have been beneficial. The speaker is also concerned about getting recommendation letters for graduate school and does not think they will get one from their current professor. They are seeking advice on how to find a mentor and how to approach their current situation. The expert advises finding a knowledgeable graduate student or postdoc in the lab for guidance and not expecting major advances in a first research position. The speaker should also discuss their difficulties
mrund3rd09
I'm a chem e undergrad btw. The professor I work for right now does his own stuff most of the time. the only times I'm in contact with him are the times I have a question, or I'm updating him with results.

This is my first research position, and I made a lot of mistakes in terms of organization and time management. I think it would have been better for me if my professor worked in the same lab as I do. Again, this is my first research job so I have no frame of reference.

I will need to get 2 letters of rec eventually for grad school, and I don't think I will be getting one from this professor, mainly because I don't think I've proven much. It was a learning experience though.

Give me any advice you know, and be as specific as you can. For example, what do you mean when you say "find a professor that mentors you." Technically, they all mentor you. Please be specific.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Most professors are not going to be able to spend much time mentoring undergraduates and giving them any guidance. Instead, I'd say that the most important thing is to find a helpful and knowledgeable graduate student or postdoc in the lab who is willing to help guide you.

Based on what you've said, you have a fairly typical arrangement. Most professors won't babysit the students that work for them 24/7. Rather (in good scenarios anyway) they will establish regular meetings (say once per week) where you give updates on your progress and they offer guidance. The good ones are also available on a regular, reliable basis for informal discussions.

Also, I don't think it's fair to expect to make major advances in a first research position. Be diligent in your approach and learn as much as you can. Make sure you discuss your difficulties with your supervisor so that he or she is informed on where you are stumped. Solicit specific feedback. And remember, the simple fact that you're in that person's lab, working for him or her and making an honest effort is usually enough to get a decent reference letter.

mrund3rd09 said:
I'm a chem e undergrad btw. The professor I work for right now does his own stuff most of the time. the only times I'm in contact with him are the times I have a question, or I'm updating him with results.

That's how research works. I don't think that you'll find a professor who does it much different. I know it takes some adjusting the first time you'll do research, but try to learn from it. The more you get used to the situation now, the better you'll do in the future.

I will need to get 2 letters of rec eventually for grad school, and I don't think I will be getting one from this professor, mainly because I don't think I've proven much. It was a learning experience though.

You'll be surprised how well you did! Don't expect to invent some groundbreaking stuff the first time. Your professor might be impressed because you did so much work on your own, because you were willing to work,...
Your professor knows very well how hard the first time research can be. So I'm sure that he'll make he's conclusions based on that fact!
thanks[/QUOTE]

actually, It's a scientist that I report to. And this scientist reports to the professor that supervises me.

I don't know if that changes anything..

Related to Choosing the right professor to work with

1. How do I know which professor is the right fit for me?

It is important to research the professor's background, expertise, and research interests to determine if they align with your own goals and interests. Additionally, reach out to current or former students of the professor to get a better understanding of their teaching style and working dynamic.

2. What qualities should I look for in a potential professor to work with?

Some important qualities to consider are their level of expertise in your field of interest, their communication and mentorship style, and their availability and willingness to support your research. It is also beneficial to choose a professor who has a good track record of successfully mentoring students.

3. How can I approach a professor about working together?

Be professional and direct in your approach. Send them an email expressing your interest in their work and why you believe you would be a good fit to work with them. It is also helpful to include a copy of your resume or CV and any relevant research experience or coursework.

4. Is it important to have a good personal relationship with my chosen professor?

While it is not necessary to have a close personal relationship with your professor, it is important to have a positive and productive working relationship. This includes effective communication, mutual respect, and a clear understanding of expectations and goals.

5. Can I switch professors if I am not satisfied with my current one?

In most cases, it is possible to switch professors if you are not satisfied with your current one. However, it is important to approach the situation professionally and discuss your concerns with your current professor before making a decision. Switching professors should be a last resort, as it can delay progress in your research and may affect your relationships with other faculty members.