Choosing Hotels for Meetings: Combination Rule Solutions

In summary, there are 36 possible ways for the association to select hotels for their next two meetings in 2001 and 2002 if the meetings may be held at the same hotel, and 30 possible ways if the meetings may not be held at the same hotel. These calculations can be made using combinations or by simply multiplying the number of choices for each year.
maiad

Homework Statement

An accounting professional association is considering six hotels as possible sites for their next two meetings in 2001 and 2002. In how many ways can the association select the hotels...
a) if the two meetings may be held at the same hotel?
b)if the two meetings may not be held at the same hotel?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answers by drawing out a tree... But i was wondering if there was a mathematical way using the counting rules i.e permutation/combinations rules etc. I was trying for a while but couldn't find one

Physics news on Phys.org
maiad said:

Homework Statement

An accounting professional association is considering six hotels as possible sites for their next two meetings in 2001 and 2002. In how many ways can the association select the hotels...
a) if the two meetings may be held at the same hotel?
b)if the two meetings may not be held at the same hotel?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answers by drawing out a tree... But i was wondering if there was a mathematical way using the counting rules i.e permutation/combinations rules etc. I was trying for a while but couldn't find one

For part a), there are six hotels and only two meetings to consider. So you only have to concern yourself with re-arranging the possibilities of the six hotels.

##{n \choose k}##

Does this look familiar to you? How about part b)?

Last edited:
Actually combinations will not work for a as they exclude the possibility of the hotels being the same in both years AND, more importantly, they imply the order doesn't matter while actually it is important here because the two years are not interchangeable (e.g. selecting hotel 1 then 2 is a different situation from selecting hotel 2 then 1).

The answer is actually simpler: there are 6 possible choices in year 1 and for each of those there are 6 choices in year two. How many does that give you in total? (If you look back at your tree you may see that this is basically the same calculation except without drawing the tree).

You can apply the same approach to b).

OH okay i get it. Ty for the explanation guys ^^

Last edited:

Related to Choosing Hotels for Meetings: Combination Rule Solutions

1. What is the combination rule for choosing hotels for meetings?

The combination rule for choosing hotels for meetings is a set of guidelines that help determine the best hotel for a meeting based on a combination of factors such as location, cost, amenities, and availability.

2. How do I apply the combination rule when choosing a hotel for my meeting?

To apply the combination rule, you should first identify the key factors that are important for your meeting, such as location, budget, and amenities. Then, you can use these factors to compare and evaluate potential hotels using the combination rule guidelines.

3. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a hotel for a meeting?

The key factors to consider when choosing a hotel for a meeting include location, cost, amenities, availability, and the needs of your attendees. You should also consider the size and purpose of your meeting, as well as any special requirements or preferences.

4. Can the combination rule be applied to any type of meeting?

Yes, the combination rule can be applied to any type of meeting, whether it is a small business meeting, a conference, or a large event. The key is to identify the important factors and use them to evaluate potential hotels.

5. Is it necessary to follow the combination rule when choosing a hotel for a meeting?

No, it is not necessary to follow the combination rule when choosing a hotel for a meeting. However, using the combination rule can help you make a more informed decision and ensure that the hotel you choose meets the needs and expectations of your attendees.