Choosing Higher Level Math Courses

• Thread starter Benjy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the person is seeking advice on which math courses to take as a dual major in Physics and General Mathematics, with a focus on microgravity research and potential future studies in exoplanets. Several courses are listed, with suggestions that courses in Partial Differential Equations, Complex Variables, Mathematical Modeling, and Vector and Tensor Analysis would be most useful for physics. The poster also asks if a math degree would increase their chances of getting into a physics graduate program, to which the response is that it gives a better preparation but does not significantly increase chances.
Benjy
Hey everyone, any input on this would be appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text in advance.

I am dual majoring as an undergrad in Physics (astronomy specialization) and General Mathematics, the latter having a pretty big selection (some listed below) of classes to choose from. My goal is to choose subjects that apply best to my field (currently in microgravity research, but have my sights on the university's exoplanet department), but it's difficult for me to tell at this point which would be the most useful to me. I have to select a few from these:
Introduction to Graph Theory
Mathematical Modeling I
Introduction to Partial Differential Equations
Introduction to Complex Variables
Numerical Methods for Computational Sciences
Introduction to Combinatorics
Vector and Tensor Analysis
Ordinary Differential Equations II
Linear and Nonlinear Waves I
Probability, Random Processes and Applications

Any info is welcome! As a quick bonus question: Does the Mathematics degree greatly increase my chances of getting into a physics graduate program?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say Partial Differential Equations, Complex Variables and Mathematical Modeling are all very useful. Of course, probably all would be at least somewhat helpful, but my vote is on those as all physics majors should have a course on them.

I don't have any insight on which ones would be specifically helpful to the subjects you mentioned.

Just based on reading these forums for ~ 2 years I would suggest;

Vector and Tensor Analysis
Ordinary Differential Equations II
Introduction to Partial Differential Equations
Introduction to Complex Variables

These are apparently the most useful courses for physics, although someone more experienced is sure to chime in.

Just to add, Vector Analysis is a prerequisite to my E&M course, so if you have yet to take E&M you should strongly consider Vector Analysis.

Likes 1 person
My personal list of the most important ones (in order):

Mathematical Modeling
Partial Differential Equations
Complex Variables
Numerical Methods
Probability
ODE's II
Vector and Tensor Analysis (actually very useful, but most of this should be in multivariate calc)

The rest are probably very situation specific. I've never heard of combinatorics to be useful in physics, but I could be wrong of course.

And the math degree does not increase your chances significantly; but it does give you a better preparation than just pure physics majors.

Related to Choosing Higher Level Math Courses

What are the benefits of taking higher level math courses?

There are several benefits to taking higher level math courses. First, it can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields. It can also prepare you for more advanced math courses in college. Additionally, taking higher level math courses can make you a more competitive candidate for certain jobs and graduate programs.

How do I know if I am ready for higher level math courses?

If you have a strong foundation in the prerequisite math courses and have consistently performed well in them, you may be ready for higher level math courses. It is important to also have a passion for math and a willingness to put in the extra effort and time required for these courses.

What are some common challenges students face in higher level math courses?

Some common challenges include the fast pace of the courses, the abstract nature of the material, and the need for strong problem-solving skills. Students may also struggle with time management and balancing the workload of multiple advanced courses.

How can I prepare for higher level math courses?

To prepare for higher level math courses, it is important to review and solidify your understanding of prerequisite math concepts. You can also read ahead and familiarize yourself with the material that will be covered in the course. Additionally, practicing and honing your problem-solving skills can help you succeed in these courses.

What are some resources available for students struggling in higher level math courses?

If you are struggling in higher level math courses, there are several resources available to help you. Your teacher or professor may be able to provide additional help or resources. You can also seek tutoring or join a study group. Online resources, such as video tutorials and practice problems, can also be helpful in understanding difficult concepts.