Choosing boundary conditions for mathematical model

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in numerical methods involving a pipe and a propeller, and the difficulty in determining the field of velocities. The solution involves considering a transverse section of the system and using polar coordinates. The boundary condition for the propeller is a no-slip condition, where the velocity of the fluid at the boundary is equal to the velocity of the propeller. This does not require fixing the position of the propeller.
fiontie
Greetings, everyone!

The problem below is actually a task on Numerical Methods. But I have difficulties making a mathematical model.

Homework Statement

Let us have a longitudinally homogeneous system of a pipe of radius [tex]R[/tex] and a propeller of nearly the same radius inside it (we shall ignore the gap between the wall and propeller). The propeller rotates at the angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] and spins the water that flows though (the operating mode is assumed to be steady state). The problem is to find the field of velocities.

2. The attempt at a solution
Naturally, we shall consider a transverse section of the system and make use of polar coordinates (velocity [tex]\vec u = (u_r, u_{\phi})[/tex]). So that the mode can be considered steady, [tex]\omega[/tex] must be high enough. Then the motion of water is given by the steady Navier-Stokes equations coupled with the continuity equation.

Now to the boundary conditions: the first one is obviously [tex]u_r|_{r=R} = 0[/tex]. The second one, I believe, is a no-slip condition which concerns the velocity's tangential component on the propeller ([tex]u_{\phi}|_{?} = \omega r[/tex]). And that's what makes me in trouble, given the circumstance that the equations are time-independent.

The question is, how do I write out this condition if the propeller's position is not fixed? By fixing it in any way, we'll get selected directions. I am probably missing something but the statement of the problem doesn't seem completely correct to me.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The boundary condition is a no-slip boundary condition, which states that the velocity of the fluid at the boundary (in this case the propeller) is equal to the velocity of the boundary (in this case the angular velocity of the propeller). This means that u_φ|_{r=R_p} = ω*R_p, where R_p is the radius of the propeller. So you don't need to fix the position of the propeller; the boundary condition is simply that the tangential velocity at the boundary must be equal to the angular velocity of the propeller.

Related to Choosing boundary conditions for mathematical model

1. What are boundary conditions in a mathematical model?

Boundary conditions in a mathematical model are the set of conditions or constraints that are imposed on the system being modeled. These conditions define the behavior of the system at its boundaries and are essential for solving the mathematical equations that describe the system's behavior.

2. Why are boundary conditions important in mathematical modeling?

Boundary conditions are important in mathematical modeling because they provide a complete and accurate representation of the system being studied. They help to define the scope and limitations of the model and ensure that the solutions obtained are relevant and applicable to the real-world system.

3. How do you choose appropriate boundary conditions for a mathematical model?

The appropriate boundary conditions for a mathematical model are chosen by carefully considering the physical and mathematical properties of the system being modeled. This involves understanding the behavior of the system at its boundaries, considering any external forces or influences, and selecting conditions that accurately reflect the system's behavior.

4. What happens if the boundary conditions are not properly chosen?

If the boundary conditions are not properly chosen, the solutions obtained from the mathematical model may not accurately reflect the behavior of the real-world system. This can lead to inaccurate predictions and unreliable results. It is important to carefully consider and select appropriate boundary conditions to ensure the validity of the model.

5. Can boundary conditions change over time in a mathematical model?

Yes, boundary conditions can change over time in a mathematical model. This is often the case in dynamic systems where the behavior of the system's boundaries may change due to various factors. In such cases, the model must be updated to reflect these changes in order to obtain accurate solutions and predictions.