Choosing a motor for a vehicle

In summary: When you say "rear wheel direct drive" I assume you are not driving each rear wheel individually?If you are, I recommend not doing that. Tanks used to work like that it caused problems when steering as they couldn't keep the left and right synchronised properly when the thing went over rough ground and one side encountered resistance.Yes, that is correct.
chessguy103
TL;DR Summary
Is it bad to choose a motor with too much torque?
I'm designing a 4-wheeled vehicle that will be driven by 2 servo motors (rear-wheel direct drive). The maximum torque required will be about 20 Nm (including a factor of safety). Since there will be two driving wheels, this amounts to 10 Nm per wheel.

Is it bad to choose 2 motors with 15 Nm rated torque and 30 Nm torque?

It seems like a silly question, but I want to make sure that performance won't be affected and parts won't be worn down. As long as we run it lower than the rated torque it should be good, right?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depending on the type of motor, there is usually a sweet spot for best efficiency. If you always used it out of this range, it is not really a smart choice. And yes, some motors might not like it if you are always way out of range.

Torque can always be transformed to any value with the help of gears, pulleys, or any other kind of transmission.

What really matters in motor selection is the power output. Does your motor have the power you need in its rpm operating range? Once you are sure of that, it is only a question of having the proper gear/speed reducer to adapt it to your needs (wheel torque & rpm). No matter what are the wheel or motor torque & rpm, their powers will always be the same.

Likes chessguy103 and Lnewqban
In many cases, max available torque will be needed for situations in which the vehicle is stuck; therefore, you may want to verify that the motors can actualy deliver that torque around zero rpm's conditions.

Likes chessguy103
When you say "rear wheel direct drive" I assume you are not driving each rear wheel individually?

If you are, I recommend not doing that. Tanks used to work like that it caused problems when steering as they couldn't keep the left and right synchronised properly when the thing went over rough ground and one side encountered resistance.

Likes chessguy103
chessguy103 said:
As long as we run it lower than the rated torque it should be good, right?
Yes. Note that most servomotors have two torque ratings - RMS torque and peak torque. If you stay within those ratings, you are good.

If a servomotor is too much oversized, it will be difficult to control because you are using only a very small portion of the available control signal. The motor is also large, heavy, and needs a more powerful controller.

Independent rear wheel drive will work if your servo controller is good enough and the motors are properly sized. I have no experience with low cost hobby motors and controllers, but the good industrial ones will respond to a disturbance within a millisecond or so. That's plenty good enough for good directional control.

Likes chessguy103
jack action said:
What really matters in motor selection is the power output. Does your motor have the power you need in its rpm operating range?

You're saying that as long as long as it has the right power and rpm, then torque can be manipulated to be whatever I want, right? Just want to make sure I understood correctly.

However, I'm trying to avoid complexity in the design and am hoping to just stick with direct drive from the motor.

ardnog said:
When you say "rear wheel direct drive" I assume you are not driving each rear wheel individually?

If you are, I recommend not doing that. Tanks used to work like that it caused problems when steering as they couldn't keep the left and right synchronised properly when the thing went over rough ground and one side encountered resistance.

That is what I mean. The top speed of the vehicle will only be about 15 mph, so hopefully it won't be a problem. The encoder is a 1024 line Incremental Photoelectric Encoder. I'm honestly not sure what that means. Do you have any insight?

Thanks!

chessguy103 said:
You're saying that as long as long as it has the right power and rpm, then torque can be manipulated to be whatever I want, right? Just want to make sure I understood correctly.
Yes.

Let me help you visualize the concept, looking at the following figure for a motor for an electric bicycle:

efficiency-jpg.jpg

The orange line is the wheel power, i.e. what you actually need. Usually the sum of the rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag, etc.

The blue line is the actual motor output. Where it meets the orange line is where the acceleration is zero. Thus it represents the maximum possible speed (25 MPH, in this case).

The red line is the actual electric power required by the motor. You can see that at low RPM it is really inefficient to convert its electrical power to mechanical power.

The green line is the motor efficiency, i.e. the blue line divided by the red line. Note how in this case, the peak efficiency is past the maximum speed, i.e. it will never be reached.

Normally, you would want your vehicle to be driven in the region between peak power (for best acceleration) and peak efficiency (for cruising speeds). Imagine this motor used on your vehicle with a top speed of 15 MPH, you would constantly be at very low efficiency (wasted heat). And the fact that in that speed range you have so much more power than you need (compared to the orange line), it might even be less efficient since you will have to constantly reduce the motor power output by a large amount (say, cruising at 10 MPH).

But if you would use the same motor with a gearing factor of 2, the orange line would remain the same, but all other lines would shift to the left. So peak power would be at around 6 MPH and peak efficiency would be at around 14 MPH. The blue line would cross the orange line at around 17 MPH, i.e. the new maximum speed.

Here is another similar graph for bicycle electric motors:

power-curve-jpg.jpg
You see that for any company, they have their peak power in a similar RPM range, because it matches the efficient human cadence range (60-110 rpm).

Likes Lnewqban
I'm confused about terminology here.
In my vernacular a "servomotor" is typically a brushed DC motor with an encoder and essentially a PID controller to control the voltage (often using PWM)
This is quite different from more modern technique of generating variable frequency triphase AC to drive a brushless motor synchronously. These "brushless DC motors" are now universally used on electric bikes and trikes and can provide regenerative braking as well.
Please ignore if I am missing the point here, but these are quite distinct systems

My experience is with industrial servo motors. Those motors are all permanent magnet brushless. Brushed DC motors were obsolete over 20 years ago in industry. Major manufacturers of industrial servo motors are Siemens and Allen-Bradley. Siemens servo systems are popular in Europe, Allen-Bradley in the U.S. A listing of Allen-Bradley servo motors is here: https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en-us/products/hardware/allen-bradley/motion-control/servo-motors/rotary-motors.html. Their HPK series motors are their big ones. Their smallest is the MPL-B1510V. All of them come with internal encoders for precision position feedback.

I do not have experience with little hobby motors, such as those found when searching Arduino servo motor. I suspect that most, if not all, of them are less powerful than the smallest A-B servo motor.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd
So the encoder is used to provide finer graduations than the multiphase/multipole arrangement allows? Is it also important to detect and compensate against slippage in practice? Only the slippage would seem to me a concern for powering a car .

Somehow, a Servo Motor seems overkill for this project; wouldn't simple speed control be sufficient?

Cheers,
Tom

Related to Choosing a motor for a vehicle

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a motor for my vehicle?

When choosing a motor for a vehicle, there are several important factors to consider. These include the type of vehicle, desired performance and power, fuel efficiency, budget, and compatibility with the vehicle's transmission and other components.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and power for my vehicle's motor?

The size and power of a motor for a vehicle depends on the weight and size of the vehicle, as well as the desired performance. It is important to consider the vehicle's weight, aerodynamics, and intended use (e.g. towing, off-roading) when determining the appropriate size and power for the motor.

3. Should I choose a gas or electric motor for my vehicle?

The choice between a gas or electric motor depends on several factors, including the availability of charging stations, the distance you plan to travel, and the environmental impact. Gas motors typically have a longer range and are more readily available, while electric motors are more environmentally friendly and can have lower operating costs.

4. What is the difference between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke motor for a vehicle?

A 2-stroke motor completes a full combustion cycle in two strokes of the piston, while a 4-stroke motor completes it in four strokes. This means that a 2-stroke motor can produce more power in a smaller size, but may be less fuel efficient and emit more pollutants. A 4-stroke motor is typically more fuel efficient and environmentally friendly, but may be larger and more expensive.

5. How important is maintenance and upkeep for a vehicle's motor?

Maintenance and upkeep are crucial for keeping a vehicle's motor running smoothly and efficiently. Regular oil changes, tune-ups, and inspections can help prevent major issues and extend the life of the motor. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and address any issues promptly to avoid costly repairs in the future.