Choosing a generator for mini wind turbine

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of choosing a generator for a horizontal axis mini wind turbine, with a goal of maximum efficiency at 25mph wind speed. The calculations for max power are also mentioned, along with the possibility of using specs sheets to approach the buying of a generator mathematically. The effect of the motor on the blades and the importance of considering wind conditions are also addressed.
carbs
Hello physics forum,
I am currently trying to figure out how to pick a generator for a horizontal axis mini wind turbine based on specs. I plan on buying a DC motor to use as a generator with blades directly attached to motor shaft. My goal is for the motor to be most efficient at 25mph wind speed, but also be able to generate power at lower wind speeds.

Diameter of blades: 6"
Wind speed from 0 to 25mph

My calculations so far:
Max power = 9 watts @25mph wind speed w/ perfectly efficient blade using equation: P=0.5*0.593*ρ*A*v^3
where P is power (W), 0.593 is Betz limit, ρ is air density (kg/m^3), A is swept area of blades (m^2), and v is wind speed (m/s).

Is there any way to approach buying a generator mathematically?
Some specs sheets on motors I see have voltage/torque/rpm/current@max efficiency, and stall torque/current.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The motor will make the blades spin slower than the same conditions without the blades.
You want to assess how much the motor with load the blades against he sort of winds you expect to operate in.

The motor ratings are for driving the motor.

Also see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=435164

Related to Choosing a generator for mini wind turbine

1. What type of generator is best for a mini wind turbine?

The best type of generator for a mini wind turbine is a permanent magnet alternator (PMA). This type of generator is compact, efficient, and can produce high power output at low wind speeds, making it suitable for smaller wind turbines.

2. What size generator do I need for my mini wind turbine?

The size of the generator needed for a mini wind turbine depends on the power output required. Generally, a larger generator will produce more power, but it is important to match the size of the generator to the size and design of the wind turbine for optimal performance.

3. Can I use a regular AC generator for my mini wind turbine?

It is not recommended to use a regular AC generator for a mini wind turbine. AC generators are designed for constant rotational speeds, while wind turbines experience varying wind speeds. This can cause damage to the generator and decrease its efficiency. It is best to use a specialized PMA or DC generator for a mini wind turbine.

4. How do I determine the correct voltage and current rating for my generator?

The voltage and current rating for your generator will depend on the desired power output and the electrical system of the wind turbine. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines for the wind turbine to determine the appropriate voltage and current rating for the generator.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing a generator for my mini wind turbine?

When choosing a generator for a mini wind turbine, it is important to consider the power requirements, wind conditions, and design of the wind turbine. The generator should also be durable, efficient, and compatible with the electrical system of the wind turbine. It is recommended to consult with a professional or manufacturer for guidance in selecting the best generator for your specific wind turbine project.