Choose Chem E or Aerospace? High School Senior's Decision

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior who applied to colleges as an Aerospace engineering major but is now considering switching to Chemical Engineering due to their interest in AP Chemistry. They are also interested in Aerospace materials, specifically polymers and composite materials, and are wondering if it would be more advantageous to major in Chemical Engineering. They want to pursue education in both disciplines and are currently leaning towards majoring in Chemical Engineering with a concentration in Polymer engineering and then getting a master's in Aerospace. They are seeking recommendations for their course of action and are advised to start as a Chemical engineer and consult with a guidance counselor about their grad school plans.
EnterTheLine
I'm a high school senior, making my college decision in the next month or two. I applied to schools as an Aerospace engineering major, but I'm really enjoying my AP chemistry class and leaning towards Chem E as a major now. However, I do not wish to totally abandon aerospace, so I was thinking I could work on Aerospace materials, in specific polymers and composite materials. Would it be more advantageous to Chem E major, than major in Aerospace? I want to get an education in both disciplines, as I do not want to be ignorant in one topic or another.
I'm currently leaning towards Majoring in Chem E with a concentration in Polymer engineering, then get master's in Aerospace. Would this make sense? Recommendations are appreciated for what my course of action should be.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you, I would start out as a chem engineer. I don't know how your school does it, but at A&M, freshman chem engineers are required to take more extensive chemistry courses that aerospace would simply ignore. If you can't hack chem engineering, or get yearnings for aerospace again, it's easier to change majors from chem to aero than aero to chem -- and you'd be well on your way to a chemistry minor.

Oh, and as far as grad school plans, I would definitely talk that over with a guidance counsellor. Most universities have special programs that allow you to transition the way you expressed interest in. I don't believe I've heard of anyone going from a chem engineering foundation to an aerospace masters (the disciplines are very different), so I wouldn't bet on it.

ok great. Thanks

Related to Choose Chem E or Aerospace? High School Senior's Decision

1. What is the difference between Chemical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering?

Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design and operate processes that produce materials or energy. Aerospace Engineering, on the other hand, is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. Both fields involve a strong understanding of math and science, but the applications and industries they focus on are different.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both Chemical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering have strong job prospects, as both industries are expected to grow in the coming years. Chemical Engineers are in high demand in industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy production, and consumer products. Aerospace Engineers are needed in the aerospace and defense industries, but also have opportunities in other fields such as automotive and renewable energy.

3. What skills are important for each field?

For Chemical Engineering, strong math and science skills are crucial, as well as problem-solving abilities and attention to detail. In Aerospace Engineering, in addition to these skills, strong spatial reasoning and technical skills are important, as well as the ability to work well in a team. Both fields also require good communication skills and the ability to handle complex projects.

4. Which field has a higher salary potential?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for Chemical Engineers in 2019 was $108,770, while Aerospace Engineers had a median annual salary of $116,500. However, salaries can vary based on location, industry, and experience. It is important to research and consider all factors when considering salary potential.

5. Is it possible to switch between the two fields in the future?

While it is possible to switch between Chemical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering, it may require additional education or training. Both fields have some overlap in their coursework, so it may be easier to switch between them compared to other engineering disciplines. However, it is important to carefully consider which field aligns with your interests and career goals before making a decision.