Chinese bridge jumper gets push from passer-by.

In summary, a 66-year-old man in China pushed a potential suicide jumper off a bridge, citing the man's "selfish activity" causing traffic jams. The jumper survived and is recovering in the hospital. If this had happened in a state with assisted suicide laws, it would have raised interesting legal questions. As an authority figure, it would be difficult to decide whether to charge the pusher with assault or secretly support his actions. Ultimately, the jumper is unlikely to attempt suicide again and the pusher may face consequences for his actions.
phyzmatix
A man threatening to commit suicide by jumping from a Chinese bridge was approached by a passer-by who shoved him over the edge, local media say.

Lai Jiansheng, 66, said he was fed up with the desperate man's "selfish activity" which caused huge traffic jams in Guangzhou, southern China...

..."I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish," the newspaper quoted Mr Lai as saying.

"Their action violates a lot of public interests. They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8064867.stm

If you were a Chinese official in a position of authority, what would you have done regarding Mr Lai's actions? How would you have treated the situation?

Basically, would you have had him arrested and charged or would you secretly (or perhaps even openly) support his actions and allow him to go free after having done commuters a massive favour?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have charged the man with murder personally. From other similar news reports I have read though the Chinese authorities are not very polite when it comes to the suicidal. I remember reading a story a long time ago about a man who climbed up a telephone pole (or some such thing) and threatened to jump but would neither jump nor come down. So the officers shot him down.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I would have charged the man with murder personally. From other similar news reports I have read though the Chinese authorities are not very polite when it comes to the suicidal. I remember reading a story a long time ago about a man who climbed up a telephone pole (or some such thing) and threatened to jump but would neither jump nor come down. So the officers shot him down.

On hindsight, perhaps I should have included an important little detail:

Chen Fuchao fell 26ft (8m) on to an air cushion and is recovering in hospital, the official Xinhua news agency said...

...Mr Chen is said to have suffered spine and elbow injuries and is recovering in a Guangzhou hospital.

What if this happened in a state with an assisted suicide law?

phyzmatix said:
On hindsight, perhaps I should have included an important little detail:

LOL! Well I say, I guess that makes quite the difference.
And maybe I should have clicked the link.

In that case it could be considered assault but I would probably not make such charges myself.

phyzmatix said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8064867.stm

If you were a Chinese official in a position of authority, what would you have done regarding Mr Lai's actions? How would you have treated the situation?

Basically, would you have had him arrested and charged or would you secretly (or perhaps even openly) support his actions and allow him to go free after having done commuters a massive favour?

I loved Lai's actions :biggrin:
But being a authority in these times, you have to see what people think otherwise you wouldn't be able to maintain your authority for long time.

I really hate people who just pretend to be suicidal just for getting attention but never suicide (particularly those who try to interrupt any kind of public activities). They should either die or stop whining.

Vanadium 50 said:
What if this happened in a state with an assisted suicide law?

HAHAHA! That would make for some interesting legal manoeuvring I'm sure! :biggrin:

Not to be overlooked is that the pusher - Lai - was on his way to the hospital to pick up medication for his own mental condition apparently.

With 2 crazies on a bridge anything could have happened.

I'm thinking the jumper Chen won't be doing that again anytime too soon.

Likely neither will Lai.

This is the best story ever. Good job crazy old chinaman!

funny twist with the assisted suicide question. If it happened here, I would expect assault causing bodily harm charges to be filed.
Ya just can't go pushing people. Unless asked. :)

Related to Chinese bridge jumper gets push from passer-by.

1. What happened in the incident of the Chinese bridge jumper?

In this incident, a person who was attempting to jump off a bridge in China was pushed by a passer-by, preventing them from carrying out the act.

2. Was anyone injured in the incident?

No, there were no reported injuries in this incident. The passer-by's actions were successful in preventing the jumper from harming themselves.

3. Why did the passer-by push the jumper?

The passer-by likely intervened to prevent the jumper from harming themselves. It is also possible that they noticed warning signs or heard the jumper express suicidal thoughts and took action to help.

4. Is there any legal action being taken against the passer-by?

As of now, there is no information regarding any legal action being taken against the passer-by. It is possible that they may face consequences for their actions, but it ultimately depends on the circumstances and laws in that specific area.

5. What can be done to prevent similar incidents in the future?

There are various measures that can be taken to prevent similar incidents, such as increasing awareness and accessibility to mental health resources, implementing safety measures on bridges, and promoting kindness and empathy towards others. It is also important for individuals to be observant and take action if they see someone in distress or at risk of self-harm.