Chemistry + engineering Or Math + engineering

In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's dilemma between pursuing a chemistry degree or a math degree along with an engineering degree through a 3+2 program with Columbia University. The speaker expressed concerns about the difficulty of getting a chemistry degree and whether it would be worth the extra effort. They also questioned if having both a chemistry and engineering degree would be beneficial to employers and if one would overshadow the other. The conversation also touched on the option of studying chemical engineering instead, which covers both chemistry and physics concepts. Ultimately, the speaker was looking for advice on which path to take in terms of their academic and career goals.
Toonation
So today a friend came up to me and said getting a chemistry degree is not worth it with engineering and I would you guys here at the physics forum to show me the reality of the degree situation.

First let me start of my university dose the 3+2 two degree engineering program with Columbia, so seeing the requirements for engineering it would be much easier for me to get a BS in Math than in Chemistry. For chem I'd probably have to take Organic over the summer double up on Chem class a few semesters(while taking engineering + university required classes + lab hours) to even get a BS and I know if I end up with a BA in Chem I'd be useless :/

I mean I'll come straight out and say I like chemistry and physics more than just math but seeing there's essentially no physics major here (unless getting a custom degree) that leaves chemistry or math.
The subjects of engineering I'm interested in are chemical, biochemical, and material science and engineering.
^so see my engineering interests are chemistry related however even though i do love the subject of chemistry will putting in the extra effort to receive a chemistry degree be worth it? [for example graduating with a chem + (any engineering listed above) vs math+...]

The main questions I want answered are:
is the extra effort in getting a BS in Chem worth it?
Would it matter to employers if I had one or the other (seeing if this works out the Columbia degree will over shadow the other)?
Hmm but stating that I'd overshadow the first degree would it overshadow it to the point where it's essentially "unless" like "oh cool he has that degree as well"?

I feel this is more academic related than career so I posted this here :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not go Chemical Engineering? It will cover chemistry concepts, as well as physics concepts.

Lamebert said:
Why not go Chemical Engineering? It will cover chemistry concepts, as well as physics concepts.

Maybe i didn't explain my situation well enough I'll end up with two degrees in this program. one being a degree from the university I'm at now (deciding between majoring math or chemistry ).Then the engineering degree from Columbia.

so essentially: Degree from university I'm in now + a Degree in Engineering from Columbia = 2 bacholars

As it stands at them moment I'm on track with a Chem degree but I'm a freshman ( still in the first semester). The Chem class I'm in is an engineering requirement as well meaning no time lost if i switch majors (plus being in calc 2 means I'm slightly ahead for some requirements)

So after I made the issue better understandable...
I still Want an answer to the main questions I want answered are
:
is the extra effort in getting a BS in Chem worth it?
Would it matter to employers if I had one or the other (seeing if this works out the Columbia degree will over shadow the other)?
Hmm but stating that I'd overshadow the first degree would it overshadow it to the point where it's essentially "unless" like "oh cool he has that degree as well"?

[STRIKE]Oh btw thanks for responding anyway just wasn't an answer to my situation :( if it were a simple situation between math and chem then chemical engineering would be a good answer[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if Chem + Engineering or Math+Engineering is better or not. However, I do know that if you don't have a pension for abstracting mathematical ideas and PROVING them, then a math degree is a terrible idea. By your Junior year, a good chunk of your courses should no longer be computational in nature and deal with properties of mathematical structures and demonstrating your ability to prove various mathematical ideas. If you do not particularly enjoy this, then your GPA will probably suffer and you'll spend quite a bit of time just suffering through the rest of your degree.

If you enjoy Chemistry more, then just do that. If I understand correctly, you will get a degree in Chemistry, and a degree in Engineering. An Engineering degree is already rather employable, so doing a chemistry degree really can't hurt you. I don't know if the extra work makes it 'worth it', but at the same time, it probably does give you at least a little bit of a leg up for some jobs somewhere.

I feel like you're missing something here. It won't just be general "engineering" will it? What good is that for? You'll have to choose a certain discipline in engineering, I'm sure. Columbia offers Chemical, Biomedical, and Materials Science and Engineering.

So go 3+2 Chemical Engineering from Columbia and Math BS. Boom, perfect.

Related to Chemistry + engineering Or Math + engineering

1. What is the difference between chemistry + engineering and math + engineering?

Chemistry + engineering is a field that combines principles of chemistry with engineering principles to solve problems and create new technologies. Math + engineering, on the other hand, combines mathematical concepts with engineering principles to solve complex problems and create innovative solutions.

2. What are some common career paths for someone with a degree in chemistry + engineering or math + engineering?

Some common career paths for individuals with degrees in chemistry + engineering or math + engineering include chemical engineering, materials science, biotechnology, environmental engineering, systems engineering, and data analysis.

3. What skills are needed to pursue a career in chemistry + engineering or math + engineering?

Individuals pursuing a career in chemistry + engineering or math + engineering should have a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and strong communication and teamwork skills. They should also be proficient in computer programming and have a strong understanding of engineering principles.

4. Are there any specific industries that rely heavily on chemistry + engineering or math + engineering?

Yes, industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, chemical manufacturing, and environmental engineering rely heavily on the principles of chemistry + engineering. Industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology rely heavily on the principles of math + engineering.

5. What are some current developments or advancements in the fields of chemistry + engineering and math + engineering?

Some current developments in chemistry + engineering include the development of new materials for sustainable energy production, advancements in drug delivery systems, and the use of nanotechnology in various applications. In math + engineering, current advancements include the use of data analytics and machine learning in various industries, advancements in artificial intelligence, and the development of new technologies for space exploration.