Chemical physics vs physics for Bio-Physics

In summary, the UC Davis program offers a BS in Chemical Physics which includes some classical mechanics, mathematical physics, a course in EM, and I get to choose one more course ranging from QM to statistical physics, to second course in EM or CM. These are just the physics courses and then I get some organic and tons of physical chemisty. I feel like this in addition to maybe a minor in biology would be best?
TheKracken
I have become interested in Biophysics and there are not many programs out there with a BS in Biophysics. I know UCLA and UCSD both have programs but the rest of the UC system unfortunately does not. I will be apply for a TAG (I get guaranteed admissions to some of the UC's if I meet certain requirements) and I am trying to figure out if I should apply under regular physics or if I should apply to a chemical physics BS program. I am considering doing my TAG with UC Davis. Their Chemical Physics program is here http://chemistry.ucdavis.edu/undergraduate/bs_in_chemical_physics.html
This program includes some classical mechanics, mathematical physics, a course in EM, and I get to choose one more course ranging from QM to statistical physics, to second course in EM or CM. These are just the physics courses and then I get some organic and tons of physical chemisty. I feel like this in addition to maybe a minor in biology would be best? Or do you guys think a physics degree and a biology minor would be best? I feel like I would be more interested in the some of the physics courses, but biophysics research appears to be housed in the chemistry department.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone here doing research in biophysics?

Physics. UCSD's chemistry department is not physical chemistry oriented and their physics department (and biology) has been steadily increasing the number of biophysics courses offered. Also, you don't want to do all the chemistry labs required for chemical physics nor the second quarter of inorganic.

Could you actually tell me more about lab work? Also, is biophysics more physics related topics or physical chemistry? If so, which subjects in each?

TheKracken said:
Could you actually tell me more about lab work? Also, is biophysics more physics related topics or physical chemistry? If so, which subjects in each?
Labs are very time intensive and *if* you want to do labs that will be the most useful for biophysics then you may want to avoid the requirement of analytical chemistry, instrumental analysis and two quarters of organic chemistry. They have a place but there are other more suitable lab courses for your interests, in my opinion.

The last question you asked is too broad to be answered adequately. In my experience, biophysics was primarily applying statistical mechanics to biological systems in the form of molecular dynamics simulations but the field has too much diversity to describe concisely.

Could you describe your interests in more detail?

I have been doing undergraduate research in computational biophysics for a year and a half; I have needed very little chemistry or biochemistry knowledge. I work on simulations of membrane proteins. Most of the biology I have needed (and anybody else has needed) can be picked up off the street; a biology background includes a huge wealth of information not relevant to you (from what I can tell). A biology undergrad came here for a physics graduate program, and his background hobbled him horribly (he made it, but by the skin of his teeth). Biochemistry can be more useful for different topics in biophysics, but rest assured, the two subjects are not really one in the same, and the biochemistry knowledge necessitated can also be picked up as needed (none of the graduate students have been requried to take courses in biochemistry to my knowledge; such courses are oblique to the research track).

The mathematics I have needed has never gotten more complicated than calc 3, aside from a detour into probability theory and Markov processes. The statistical mechanics knowledge is fully utilized, and I had a difficult time contributing to the lab until I had taken a course in the subject. A little dash of E and M crops up occasionally. If you are interested in theory (i.e. parameterization of "force fields" as the chemists like to call them) you will need to be fluent in quantum chemistry.

Related to Chemical physics vs physics for Bio-Physics

1. What is the difference between chemical physics and physics for bio-physics?

Chemical physics is a subfield of physics that studies the physical properties and behavior of atoms and molecules, while physics for bio-physics is a specialized branch of physics that focuses on understanding the physical principles underlying biological systems.

2. Can you give an example of a research topic in chemical physics and physics for bio-physics?

A research topic in chemical physics could be investigating the properties of different materials at the atomic level, while a topic in physics for bio-physics could be studying the movement of proteins in cell membranes.

3. Do the two fields overlap in any way?

Yes, there is overlap between chemical physics and physics for bio-physics as both fields use principles from physics to study different aspects of matter. However, the focus and applications of each field may differ.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in chemical physics and physics for bio-physics?

Both fields require a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Knowledge of chemistry is also crucial for chemical physics, while an understanding of biology is important for physics for bio-physics.

5. How are advancements in these fields impacting society?

The advancements in chemical physics have led to innovations in materials science, drug development, and energy production. Physics for bio-physics has contributed to advancements in medicine, biotechnology, and understanding the complex systems of the human body.