Chemical, material, or electrical engineering?

In summary, the conversation discussed a first year engineering student who needs to choose between electrical engineering, material engineering, and chemical engineering. The pros and cons of each profession were mentioned, along with considerations for job opportunities and salary in a specific location. The conversation also touched on the importance of researching job availability and not relying on general statistics. The conversation concluded with mentioning potential job opportunities in the Alberta oil sands for chemical engineering.
shami_02
hey guys I'm currently a first year engineering student and am at the point in my undergrad where I need to choose which engineering field i would like to go to. I've narrowed my choices to electrical engineering, material engineering, and chemical engineering. Could you please point of the pros and cons of each profession, as well as the job opportunity involved and salary. I want to work in a city like Vancouver not having to move out very far. Concerning course matter I am fine with all of them. I'm just stuck at the crossroads of which one to choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical has highest salary.

Materials is glorious.

Chemical is dirty.

streeters said:

Materials is glorious.

Chemical is dirty.

Source? This is entirely contrary to some statistics I have seen.

You also need to consider where you want to work. Some cities and regions may have more industries that relate to, say, electrical. Some may have a lot of jobs in materials. For example, say you studied naval architecture. There would probably be more jobs available to you on the coast, like, say, Rhode Island, than in the middle of Kansas. I suggest going to a site like Monster.com and looking at jobs in your different fields of interest. How many electrical jobs are available in your location? How many chemical? What are the salaries? Don't just rely on general statistics.

streeters said:

Materials is glorious.

Chemical is dirty.

False. Leave it at that, otherwise I'd be feeding the troll.

If you are thinking about ChemE, there are the Alberta oil sands. For the other majors, I don't believe there is a large demand specifically in Vancouver.

Last edited:

Related to Chemical, material, or electrical engineering?

What is the difference between chemical, material, and electrical engineering?

Chemical engineering involves the application of chemistry and physics to design and manufacture products through chemical processes. Material engineering focuses on the development and production of materials with specific properties, such as strength and durability. Electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism to develop and design electrical systems and devices.

What industries do chemical, material, and electrical engineers typically work in?

Chemical engineers can work in industries such as pharmaceuticals, chemicals, food and beverage, and oil and gas. Material engineers can work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and electronics. Electrical engineers can work in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and computer hardware and software.

What skills are important for a career in chemical, material, or electrical engineering?

Some important skills for a career in chemical engineering include knowledge of chemistry and mathematics, problem-solving abilities, and communication skills. Material engineers should have knowledge of materials science and engineering, critical thinking skills, and attention to detail. Electrical engineers should have a strong background in math and physics, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work with complex systems.

What are some of the challenges faced by chemical, material, and electrical engineers?

Chemical engineers may face challenges such as environmental concerns, safety issues, and the need to constantly improve processes and products. Material engineers may face challenges such as finding new and innovative materials, meeting strict specifications, and managing costs. Electrical engineers may face challenges such as developing energy-efficient and sustainable systems, keeping up with rapidly advancing technology, and ensuring safety and reliability.

What are some emerging technologies in chemical, material, and electrical engineering?

Some emerging technologies in chemical engineering include nanotechnology, biotechnology, and renewable energy sources. Material engineering is seeing advancements in areas such as biomaterials, 3D printing, and smart materials. Electrical engineering is seeing advancements in areas such as artificial intelligence, internet of things, and renewable energy systems.