Chemical Kinetics: Reaction Mechanism

In summary, the rate of consumption of A in this mechanism can be expressed as Rate = k1k2 [A] [M] / (k-1[M] + k2), taking into account the reversible and irreversible steps. The steady-state approximation can be used, but it is important to consider all reactions and their rate constants.
tehaznboi

Homework Statement

1. According to the mechanism below, what is the correct expression for the rate of consumption of A? In the mechanism, M is a molecule that collides with A and A* is a highly-energized form of A.

Step 1 (reversible): A + M <---> A* + M rate constants k1 and k-1

Step 2 (irreversible): A* ---> C rate constant k2

Select one of the following:

Rate = k1 [A] [M] / (k-1[M] + k2)
Rate = [A] / [C]
Rate = k1k2 [A] [M] / (k-1[M] + k2)
Rate = k1k2 [A]
Rate = k1[A]
Rate = (k1 [A] [M] + k-2[C] ) / (k-1[M] + k2)
Rate=k1k2 / (k-1+k-2)
Rate = (k1+k2-k-1-k-2) [A]
Rate = k1k2 [A] / (k-1+k2[M])
Rate=k1+k2-k-1-k-2
Rate = [C] / [A]
Rate = k1k2 [A] [M] / k-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to assume a steady-state approximation as I'm not sure which is the slow step. I found the overall rate of reaction and assumed it to be equivalent to the consumption of A.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I am not sure if this is the correct approach or if there is a more accurate expression for the rate of consumption of A.

Hi there,

The correct expression for the rate of consumption of A in this mechanism would be:

Rate = k1k2 [A] [M] / (k-1[M] + k2)

This is because the rate of consumption of A is dependent on both the forward and reverse reactions in the first step, as well as the irreversible step in the second step. The steady-state approximation is a good approach, but it is important to consider all of the reactions and their rate constants in order to accurately describe the overall rate of consumption of A.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Chemical Kinetics: Reaction Mechanism

1. What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the study of the rates at which chemical reactions occur and the factors that influence them.

2. What is a reaction mechanism?

A reaction mechanism is the series of steps that occur during a chemical reaction, from the initial reactants to the final products.

3. How does temperature affect reaction rates?

Increasing the temperature generally increases the rate of a chemical reaction. This is because higher temperatures provide more kinetic energy to the reacting molecules, allowing them to overcome the activation energy barrier and react more quickly.

4. What is the role of catalysts in chemical kinetics?

Catalysts are substances that can speed up a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. They work by providing an alternate reaction pathway with a lower activation energy, making it easier for the reaction to occur.

5. How can we determine the rate law for a given chemical reaction?

The rate law for a chemical reaction can be determined experimentally by measuring the initial rates of the reaction at different concentrations of reactants. The general form of a rate law is rate = k[A]^m[B]^n, where k is the rate constant and m and n are the reaction orders with respect to the reactants A and B, respectively.