ChemE major needs advice on a minor

• Programs
  • Thread starter Jafar.emir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major Minor
In summary, the speaker is currently studying Chemical Engineering and considering minors in Geoscience and Finance to pursue a career in the petroleum and mining industry. Other suggested minors include business and petroleum engineering courses, or taking relevant classes to enhance job skills.
Jafar.emir
Hello,
Currently I'm going to school for Chemical Engineering, I was planning on dual majoring in chemistry but decided not as not to make my life more difficult then it is. I was wondering if there was anyone who had any good recommendation on minors. I'm really interested in the petroleum and mining industry at the moment. I was looking at possibly minoring in Geoscience and Finance. I would like some advice on good minors for a ChemE.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geoscience would probably be good if you want to go into the oil and gas industry. Geology is a hugely important part of any oil/gas reservoir.

thegreenlaser said:
Geoscience would probably be good if you want to go into the oil and gas industry. Geology is a hugely important part of any oil/gas reservoir.
Seconded.

Jafar.emir said:
Hello,
Currently I'm going to school for Chemical Engineering, I was planning on dual majoring in chemistry but decided not as not to make my life more difficult then it is. I was wondering if there was anyone who had any good recommendation on minors. I'm really interested in the petroleum and mining industry at the moment. I was looking at possibly minoring in Geoscience and Finance. I would like some advice on good minors for a ChemE.

Take some business classes for sure.If your school has petroleum engineering a few classes in that would also be a good idea. You may also want to consider not getting minors per se. Instead, take classes relevant to your job field (that can go on a resume) like say natural gas processing or chemical refining, etc.

Hi there,

As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of choosing a minor that complements your major and aligns with your career interests. It's great that you have narrowed down your interests to the petroleum and mining industry. Minoring in Geoscience and Finance could definitely be beneficial for your career prospects in this field.

Geoscience would provide you with a deeper understanding of the geological processes involved in the extraction and refining of petroleum and minerals. This knowledge can be applied in various roles within the industry, such as exploration and production, environmental management, and resource evaluation.

On the other hand, a minor in Finance would give you a strong foundation in financial principles and decision-making, which is crucial in the business side of the petroleum and mining industry. This could open up opportunities for roles in project management, supply chain management, and corporate finance.

Other potential minors to consider could be Environmental Science, as sustainability and environmental regulations play a significant role in the petroleum and mining industry. Additionally, a minor in Business or Management could also be valuable in developing your leadership skills and understanding of the industry's global market.

Ultimately, the best minor for you will depend on your personal interests and career goals. I would recommend researching the course offerings and speaking with advisors in each department to determine which minor aligns best with your interests and complements your major. Best of luck in your studies and future career!

Related to ChemE major needs advice on a minor

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a minor as a Chemical Engineering major?

Pursuing a minor as a Chemical Engineering major can provide you with a well-rounded education and make you more marketable to potential employers. It can also allow you to explore other interests and broaden your skill set.

2. How do I choose a minor that complements my major in Chemical Engineering?

Consider choosing a minor that is related to your major or that will enhance your knowledge and skills in a specific area. You can also consult with your academic advisor or do research on the minors offered by your university.

3. Can I complete a minor while still meeting the requirements for my Chemical Engineering major?

Yes, it is possible to complete a minor while still meeting the requirements for your Chemical Engineering major. However, it is important to carefully plan your courses and ensure that you have enough credits to fulfill both requirements.

4. Will completing a minor delay my graduation?

It depends on the specific requirements of the minor and how well you plan your courses. In some cases, you may be able to complete a minor without delaying your graduation, while in others it may add an extra semester or year.

5. How can I make the most out of my minor as a Chemical Engineering major?

You can make the most out of your minor by actively engaging in the courses, connecting with professors and classmates, and seeking out opportunities to apply your knowledge and skills. You can also consider completing a relevant internship or research project related to your minor.