Chem Weak Acid Strong Base Help

In summary, the question involves calculating the [H3O+] of a solution resulting from mixing a 2.00 molar formic acid with a 4.80 molar NaOH. The solution is a buffer and can be solved using the Henderson Hasselbach equation. By using an ICE chart and the Ka equation, the concentration of hydronium ions can be found. Ultimately, the solution is basic and can be calculated using a buffer calculator.
Swerting

Homework Statement

800ml sample of 2.00 molar formic acid HCOOH (or HA) ismixed with 200ml of a 4.80 molar NaOH. Calculate the [H3O+] of the resulting solution.

Homework Equations

(for buffers) pH=pKa-log(HA/A-)
Ka for formic acid is 1.8x10-4
pH=14-pOH
[H+]=(1.00x10-14)/([OH-)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I used an ICE chart of formic acid with water to find the concentration of hydronium ions at equilibrium, which came out to be 1.7x10-2M, and used some stoichiometry to figure out that there are 0.960 moles of NaOH, and thus, .960 moles of OH-.I subtracted the amount of hydronium ions from the moles of hydroxide ions (since the total volume happens to be one liter), and found this to be my concentration of hydroxide ions, .943M. Using the formula above to calculate hydronium ion concentration from hydroxide ions and the ionization constant for water at 25 degrees celcius, which we assume this is at, I derived the concentration of hydronium ions to be 1.1x10-14, which gives a pH of 13.97.
I was expecting a basic solution since there was so much hydroxide ions added, but this number just seems surreal. I appreciate any comments.

ICE Chart of Formic Acid:
HA + H2O <--> A- + H3O+
I 1.6 0 0
C -x +x +x
E 1.6-x x x
(sorry it all got squished together, but to clear things up, the water column was left blank)

1.8x10-4=(x2)/(1.6-x)
Assuming the x is negligabile to 1.6 gives us:
x=1.7x10-2

Physics news on Phys.org
Swerting said:

Homework Statement

800ml sample of 2.00 molar formic acid HCOOH (or HA) ismixed with 200ml of a 4.80 molar NaOH. Calculate the [H3O+] of the resulting solution.

Homework Equations

(for buffers) pH=pKa-log(HA/A-)
Ka for formic acid is 1.8x10-4
pH=14-pOH
[H+]=(1.00x10-14)/([OH-)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I used an ICE chart of formic acid with water to find the concentration of hydronium ions at equilibrium, which came out to be 1.7x10-2M, and used some stoichiometry to figure out that there are 0.960 moles of NaOH, and thus, .960 moles of OH-.I subtracted the amount of hydronium ions from the moles of hydroxide ions (since the total volume happens to be one liter), and found this to be my concentration of hydroxide ions, .943M. Using the formula above to calculate hydronium ion concentration from hydroxide ions and the ionization constant for water at 25 degrees celcius, which we assume this is at, I derived the concentration of hydronium ions to be 1.1x10-14, which gives a pH of 13.97.
I was expecting a basic solution since there was so much hydroxide ions added, but this number just seems surreal. I appreciate any comments.

ICE Chart of Formic Acid:
HA + H2O <--> A- + H3O+
I 1.6 0 0
C -x +x +x
E 1.6-x x x
(sorry it all got squished together, but to clear things up, the water column was left blank)

1.8x10-4=(x2)/(1.6-x)
Assuming the x is negligabile to 1.6 gives us:
x=1.7x10-2

Formic acid is neutralized by the hydroxide its mole value is

1.6 - 0.96

Divide this by the new volume to find the new concentration of formic acid. Then use the Ka equation as you have set up to find your answer ; you may actually be able to use the Henderson Hasselbach equation since the relative conjugate concentrations seem to be in mid range.

Thank you so much!
I figured that it had something to do with buffers, but I couldn't see it with the NaOH.
Thank you again for your replies.

Related to Chem Weak Acid Strong Base Help

1. What is the definition of a weak acid and a strong base?

A weak acid is a substance that only partially dissociates in water, while a strong base is a substance that fully dissociates into ions in water.

2. How do you calculate the pH of a solution containing a weak acid and a strong base?

The pH of a solution containing a weak acid and a strong base can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the concentration of the weak acid, the concentration of the conjugate base, and the acid dissociation constant (Ka) of the weak acid.

3. What is the role of a buffer in a solution containing a weak acid and a strong base?

A buffer helps to maintain the pH of a solution by resisting changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. In a solution containing a weak acid and a strong base, the weak acid and its conjugate base act as a buffer, helping to keep the pH stable.

4. How does the strength of a weak acid and a strong base affect the pH of a solution?

The strength of a weak acid and a strong base can greatly affect the pH of a solution. A stronger acid or base will result in a lower or higher pH, respectively. This is because stronger acids and bases will dissociate more in water, resulting in a greater concentration of H+ or OH- ions, which determine the pH of a solution.

5. What are some common examples of weak acids and strong bases?

Some common examples of weak acids include acetic acid (found in vinegar), citric acid (found in citrus fruits), and carbonic acid (found in carbonated drinks). Strong bases include sodium hydroxide (commonly used in cleaning products), potassium hydroxide (used in soap making), and calcium hydroxide (used in cement production).