Chem Eng: Hot Career Option for Canada?

• Thread starter plutonium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Hot
In summary, the speaker is an experienced chemical engineering professional who has worked in various industries and is now retired. They advise the undergraduate to keep an open mind and apply for all jobs in the technical field, as chemical engineering can be applied to various industries. They also mention that their original interest in sewage disposal did not work out and they ended up in commercial and regulatory management. The speaker also mentions that they are not familiar with the Canadian economy and cannot answer specific questions about it. They suggest the undergraduate take the first job that is offered to them and consider the diverse opportunities available in the field of chemical engineering.
plutonium
I'm a chemical engineering undergraduate studying in Canada right now. I'm not too sure what my future looks like, so I'd like to have some opinions on whether it's a good engineering discipline to stick with.

1. I'm interested in a career in R&D, but I hear that you need at least a PhD. I'm willing to get a master's, but a PhD is a huge commitment on time and foregone salary. Will I be able to do research with just a master's and still make at least the same money as BS engineers doing non-R&D, but technical work? If so, will I be at a disadvantage if the BS engineer moves on to say, a project manager?

2. I'm interested in working in the biotech sector, but isn't most of it R&D? I'd be willing to move to the States (since Canada pales in comparison to the US), but what non-R&D opportunities are available in Canada besides manufacturing of pharmaceuticals and other biochemicals?

3. Besides biotech and the oil fields in Alberta, what are some other hot areas?

I hope my questions tailored specifically to the Canadian economy doesn't prove to be a hindrance...

Likes CHRISTALS
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've been a practising Chem Eng for 30 odd years moving from the food industry (3 months) to the petrochem industry (7 years) and ending up in the offshore gas industry in the UK (how did I get there?).
Apart from the food industy, I was very happy and was always challenged by the work I did.
You must remember that Chem Eng is not about actually doing but how you manage change and although what you are learning at the moment is very practical it is only the first footstep on the ladder. you can apply everything you have learned to almost any area of human activity.
30 years ago I wanted to get into sewage disposal (my graduate thesis was on mass transfer in three phase fluidised beds) but it did'nt work out. I ended up in commercial and regulatory management.
I've followed the path of least resistance - a well known Chem Eng principle.
I'm now retired and am teaching English in a Chinese university of finance and economics, but have had a very happy anf fulfilling life.
I hope this helps, it's a very confusing time. I can't answer you specific questions, I don't know enough about the Canadian economy.
My suggestion to you is to take the first, probably most awful, job you are offered, keep an open mind and apply for every job that you see in the technical press. And remember that Chem Eng is the Queen of all engineering.

As a chemical engineering professional with experience in the Canadian job market, I can say that chemical engineering is definitely a hot career option in Canada. There is a high demand for chemical engineers in various industries such as biotech, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas, and environmental engineering.

To address your first concern, having a master's degree in chemical engineering will definitely open up opportunities for you in the field of research and development. While a PhD may be preferred for certain positions, a master's degree is still highly valued and can lead to a successful career in R&D. In terms of salary, it may vary depending on the company and your specific role, but generally, a master's degree holder in chemical engineering can make a similar salary to a BS engineer in non-R&D technical work. Additionally, having a master's degree can also provide a competitive edge when it comes to career advancement opportunities.

In terms of the biotech sector, while R&D is a major component, there are also opportunities in manufacturing, quality control, and process engineering. Canada has a strong biotech industry, particularly in cities like Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. There are also opportunities in other industries such as food and beverage, consumer goods, and environmental consulting.

Apart from biotech and the oil fields in Alberta, some other hot areas in Canada for chemical engineers include mining and mineral processing, renewable energy, and water treatment. The mining industry in Canada is growing and offers opportunities for chemical engineers in process design, optimization, and environmental sustainability. The renewable energy sector is also expanding, with a focus on sustainable energy sources and technologies. And with Canada's vast water resources, there is a growing demand for chemical engineers in the field of water treatment and management.

Overall, chemical engineering is a versatile and in-demand field in Canada, with opportunities in various industries and roles. It is important to keep in mind that the job market is constantly evolving, so it is always beneficial to stay updated on industry trends and advancements. Good luck with your studies and future career!

Related to Chem Eng: Hot Career Option for Canada?

1. What is chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design, develop, and operate processes that convert raw materials into useful products.

2. Why is chemical engineering a hot career option in Canada?

Chemical engineering is a hot career option in Canada because of the country's strong industrial sector, particularly in the areas of energy, mining, and technology. There is a high demand for chemical engineers in these industries, and the job market continues to grow.

3. What skills are required for a career in chemical engineering?

Some key skills required for a career in chemical engineering include strong problem-solving and analytical skills, good mathematical and scientific knowledge, attention to detail, and good communication and teamwork abilities. Knowledge of computer software and programming is also becoming increasingly important in this field.

4. What are the job opportunities for chemical engineers in Canada?

Chemical engineers in Canada have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and environmental engineering. They can work in roles such as process engineer, project manager, research and development scientist, and operations manager.

5. What education and training is required for a career in chemical engineering?

Most chemical engineering positions in Canada require a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or a related field such as chemistry or biochemistry. Many employers also prefer candidates with a master's degree in chemical engineering. In addition to formal education, on-the-job training and professional development courses may also be necessary to keep up with advancements in the field.