Chem.E, dual major or language minor?

In summary: The payoff, in terms of job market, would be more difficult to determine. Additionally, if you are interested in a business, you will need at least a bachelors in business. I would recommend doing more research before making a decision.In summary, Despite being a transfer student, I would still recommend pursuing a biochemistry degree if you want to pursue a career in chemical engineering. The payoff, in terms of job market, would be more difficult to determine, but the pay off in terms of understanding biochemistry and the processes used in chemistry would be significant.
jking6
I'm going to school for chemical engineering with an emphasis in biotechnology, in the hopes of working for a corporation out of school, but eventually founding my own business. As I looked at the curriculum for chem engineering however, I realized I'll have a LOT of free time if I only do the major and nothing else. After researching for a bit, I came out with two possible options for myself.

1. I could obtain a minor in Japanese(language) while taking a below-average course load. I already know a good deal of Japanese, but I'm hoping it would make my skill official and it would also bring me from 'conversational' to 'near fluent'. My dad is really pressing me towards this option, because he feels that with increasing globalization it will put me above other fresh graduates in terms of finding a job.

2. I could obtain a second undergraduate degree in biochemistry while taking an above-average course load. This option is more appealing to me, because I feel it will give me a broader understanding of biology, biochemistry, and the processes being used. Also, I feel it would help me in the 'start my own business' portion of my aspirations, and I can always spend a few months in Japan to bring myself to fluency via immersion.

That said, any Chemical Engineers in here? Which one would you think would benefit me the most in the long run? Will I gain any significant benefit in terms of job finding or designing products from having the extra background in biochemistry?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I was in that position, I'd probably go for option 2, just because it would be a lot easier to self-study Japanese (assuming you are genuinely interested in learning more) than biochemistry, which probably involves a lot of lab work that you wouldn't have access to otherwise. I can't comment on which would be more useful for your career aspirations, though.

It occurred to me that this is probably more academic advising related than career advising. If a mod would be so kind as to move it to the proper forum, I'd be eternally grateful.

danago said:
If I was in that position, I'd probably go for option 2, just because it would be a lot easier to self-study Japanese (assuming you are genuinely interested in learning more) than biochemistry, which probably involves a lot of lab work that you wouldn't have access to otherwise. I can't comment on which would be more useful for your career aspirations, though.
Thanks for your input. Definitely something to consider.

You say your going to have a LOT of free time with the ChemE major? My whole class was on campus almost 24/7 during the junior and senior years because the work load is such a nightmare. Biochemistry is pretty demanding too I hear. If you want to do two degrees, you'll want to spend 5 to 6 years in school. Unless you're some kind of brainy super student.

Have you considered switching to bio-engineering instead? Its fairly similar to ChemE plus a bunch of biochemistry stuff.

StarSoup said:
You say your going to have a LOT of free time with the ChemE major? My whole class was on campus almost 24/7 during the junior and senior years because the work load is such a nightmare.
Since I'm a transfer student and have already done all the pre-reqs and then some, if I ONLY take my ChemE classes I will barely qualify as a full-time student most semesters.

StarSoup said:
Have you considered switching to bio-engineering instead? Its fairly similar to ChemE plus a bunch of biochemistry stuff.
At the school I'm going to Chemical Engineering has a standard option and a biotech option. I'm planning on going the biotech route, which will already have me taking 2 biochemistries, one upper level biology and several ChemE/biotech crossover classes. That said it would bump up my Fall and Spring semesters from 12 credit hours to about 17/18 credit hours(very similar to the recommended course load for a standard 8 semester degree).

I am at the top of my class at my current community college, but do you think I would just be asking too much of myself? Also, would the payoff be potentially worth it, in the job market and potentially later as a business owner?

The only thing I would be gaining from the Biochem degree is a bunch of lab work, physical chem 1 and biophysical chem, then maybe 2 biologies.

Related to Chem.E, dual major or language minor?

What is Chem.E?

Chem.E, or Chemical Engineering, is a branch of engineering that combines principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design and develop processes and products involving chemicals and materials.

What is a dual major?

A dual major is when a student pursues two different majors at the same time. This means they will have to fulfill the requirements for both majors in order to graduate.

What is a language minor?

A language minor is when a student chooses to study a foreign language in addition to their major. This typically involves taking a certain number of courses in the language and may also include cultural or immersion experiences.

Why should I consider a dual major or language minor?

A dual major or language minor can enhance your skill set and make you more versatile in the job market. It can also broaden your perspective and provide you with new opportunities and experiences.

Can I pursue a dual major or language minor in addition to a Chem.E degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a dual major or language minor while majoring in Chem.E. However, it may require careful planning and time management to fulfill the requirements for all programs. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that you can balance the workload effectively.