Checking Mistake: Am I Wrong with $\ln\frac{1}{2}$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter jiasyuen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the correct value of ln(1/2) is -0.69314718056. People often make a mistake when calculating ln(1/2) because they confuse natural logarithms with common logarithms. ln(1/2) is significant in mathematics as it is used to solve exponential and logarithmic equations. To avoid making a mistake when calculating ln(1/2), make sure to use the correct logarithm function and double-check your calculations. Some real-world applications of ln(1/2) include finance, science, statistics, and economics.
jiasyuen
\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{x-2}dx\)

\(\displaystyle =\left [ \ln\left | x-2 \right | \right ]_{0}^{1}\)

\(\displaystyle =\ln1-\ln2\)

\(\displaystyle -\ln2\)

But the answer given is \(\displaystyle \ln\frac{1}{2}\). Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct. Recall that $\ln(a)-\ln(b) = \ln \left(\frac{a}{b}\right)$ and $\ln(a^b) = b \ln(a)$.

I've forgotten that. Thanks for reminding.

Related to Checking Mistake: Am I Wrong with $\ln\frac{1}{2}$?

What is the correct value of ln(1/2)?

The correct value of ln(1/2) is -0.69314718056.

Why do people often make a mistake when calculating ln(1/2)?

People often make a mistake when calculating ln(1/2) because they confuse natural logarithms with common logarithms. The correct way to calculate ln(1/2) is by using the natural logarithm function, ln(x), instead of the common logarithm function, log(x).

What is the significance of ln(1/2) in mathematics?

ln(1/2) is significant in mathematics because it is the natural logarithm of a fraction, which represents a ratio or a division of two quantities. It is also used to solve exponential and logarithmic equations.

How can I avoid making a mistake when calculating ln(1/2)?

To avoid making a mistake when calculating ln(1/2), make sure to use the correct logarithm function and double-check your calculations. It is also helpful to review the properties and rules of logarithms to ensure accuracy.

What are some real-world applications of ln(1/2)?

ln(1/2) has various real-world applications, such as in finance for calculating compound interest or in science for measuring the half-life of a radioactive substance. It is also used in statistics for data transformation and in economics for analyzing elasticity of demand.