Checking Average Atoms in 1 m^3 of Atmosphere at STP

In summary, the author calculates the average number of atoms in a 1 meter cube of atmosphere at standard temperature and pressure, and finds that the average number of atoms is 88.14 mol/m3. This is a fairly simple check, and a good suggestion.
mesa
Gold Member
So I need a check on my calculations for the average number of atoms in a 1 meter cube of atmosphere at STP.

I came up with 88.14 mols, here is how I did it:

First I calculated the average amu using percentage in air by
Nitorgen 78.08% @ 14.007 amu
Oxygen 20.95% @ 15.999 amu
Argon .93% @ 39.948 amu

I took these numbers and multiplied them by their relative percentages to get average amu for atmosphere:
10.94 + 3.35 + .37 = 14.67 amu average

We know the average density of air at STP is 1.293x10^3g/m^3
so I divided by average amu and got 88.14 mols/m^3

Is this right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

No, that's not correct - you forgot nitrogen and oxygen are present as diatomics. But approach per se is OK.

Note that there is much simpler way. Avogadro's principle says that no matter what the gas identity is, number of molecules/atoms in a given volume is always the same (as long as gas can be treated as ideal). That means you don't need to know the mixture composition, just use PV=nRT to calculate number of moles of gas in 1 cubic meter.

Borek said:
No, that's not correct - you forgot nitrogen and oxygen are present as diatomics. But approach per se is OK.

I'm aware that oxygen and nitrogen exist as diatomic molecules in our atmosphere, I happen to need the number of atoms as stated in the question and title of the post but I could see how that could be missed Borek :)

Borek said:
Note that there is much simpler way. Avogadro's principle says that no matter what the gas identity is, number of molecules/atoms in a given volume is always the same (as long as gas can be treated as ideal). That means you don't need to know the mixture composition, just use PV=nRT to calculate number of moles of gas in 1 cubic meter.

That's a good approach, however I would need to recalculate for number of atoms since (as you know) the IGL counts our diatomic molecules and Ar the same so the result would be slightly less than double of n.

Either way a fairly simple check and good suggestion.

Last edited:

mesa said:
I happen to need the number of atoms as stated in the question and title

Yep, missed that, my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Borek said:

Ha ha! Since when were chemists fans of Wilder?
Pretty risque stuff for 59' but that's how he was :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Checking Average Atoms in 1 m^3 of Atmosphere at STP

1. How is the average number of atoms in 1 m^3 of atmosphere at STP calculated?

The average number of atoms in 1 m^3 of atmosphere at STP is calculated by using the ideal gas law, which states that the number of moles of a gas is directly proportional to its volume, assuming constant temperature and pressure. This equation can then be used to calculate the number of atoms present in a given volume of a gas at STP.

2. What is the average atom composition of the Earth's atmosphere at STP?

The average atom composition of the Earth's atmosphere at STP is primarily made up of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%), with trace amounts of other gases such as argon, carbon dioxide, and water vapor making up the remaining 1%.

3. How does the average number of atoms in the atmosphere change with altitude?

The average number of atoms in the atmosphere decreases with increasing altitude due to the decrease in air density. This means that there are fewer molecules in a given volume of air at higher altitudes, resulting in a lower average number of atoms.

4. What is the significance of knowing the average number of atoms in the atmosphere at STP?

Knowing the average number of atoms in the atmosphere at STP is important for understanding the chemical composition and behavior of the Earth's atmosphere. It can also help in predicting and studying atmospheric phenomena such as weather patterns and climate change.

5. How does the average number of atoms in the atmosphere compare to other substances?

The average number of atoms in the atmosphere is significantly lower than that of solid and liquid substances, as gases are more spread out and have a lower density. However, the number of atoms in the atmosphere is still very large, with an estimated 4.8 x 10^44 atoms in the Earth's atmosphere at STP.