Check My Answer to Exam Question on Rate of Decrease

In summary, the tea cooled proportional to the temperature difference between the tea and the house. The temperature of the house was 27.5 C.
Gwilim
This question was in the exam I just sat, it was of a type I hadn't practiced, and I'd like someone to check my answer, as if it's wrong then I'm almost certain to have failed.

At 7 a.m. I made a cup of tea; after adding some milk it is about 90 C. When I left at 7:30 a.m. the tea is still drinkable at about 40 C. When I get back home at 8 a.m. the tea has cooled to 30 C.

Assume that the rate of cooling of the tea is proportional to the temperature difference of the teas and the temperature of the house. Assume also that the temperature of the house is constant.

What is the temperature of the house?

My answer: 27.5 C

Physics news on Phys.org
How about showing your work? It would make it a lot easier for us to spot a wrong turn if you would show us the route you took!

Hmm I only got to take the question paper home, not the answer paper. I started with putting dT/dt = k(T-h) where h was the temperature of the house. Then I separated the variables, integrated and took the exponentials which gave me (T-h) = ce^kt where c is a constant. Then I plugged in the values given in the question which gave me a set of silmultaneous equations to solve, and I ended up having to form a quadratic in e^k which gave me k = 0 and k = ln 1/5. I took k = 1/5 with the reason supplied that k < 0. This also supplied me with a value for c, namely 62 1/2. Plugging those values into my set of linear equations gave me h = -27.5 and from there I gave an argument centred around the fact that I should have been using |T-h| in place of (T-h) as to why h = 27.5

Gwilim said:
Plugging those values into my set of linear equations gave me h = -27.5 and from there I gave an argument centred around the fact that I should have been using |T-h| in place of (T-h) as to why h = 27.5

Hi Gwilim! :smile:

Yes, 27.5 is right! :smile:

You'll lose a few marks for the |T- h| stuff … it should have worked out fine with (T - h).

(And you could have got a linear equation in (90 - h) instead of a quadratic in k, if you'd just squared one of the e^kt equations and subtracted it from the other).

But you've definitely got most of the marks for that question!

I hope the others were as good! :smile:

Related to Check My Answer to Exam Question on Rate of Decrease

1. How do I calculate the rate of decrease?

The rate of decrease can be calculated by dividing the change in value by the original value, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. For example, if a value decreases from 100 to 80, the rate of decrease would be (100-80)/100 x 100 = 20%.

2. What is the formula for rate of decrease?

The formula for rate of decrease is (Change in value/Original value) x 100. This will give you the rate of decrease as a percentage.

3. How is rate of decrease different from rate of change?

Rate of decrease specifically refers to a decrease in value over time, while rate of change can refer to both increases and decreases in value. Rate of change is a more general term and can be positive or negative, while rate of decrease is always negative.

4. Why is it important to calculate the rate of decrease?

Calculating the rate of decrease can help us understand the trend and direction of change in a particular value over time. It can also help us make predictions and decisions based on this information.

5. Can you give an example of when rate of decrease would be useful to know?

Rate of decrease can be useful in many situations, such as tracking the decline in sales of a product over time, monitoring the decrease in population of a species, or analyzing the decrease in stock prices. It can also be helpful in identifying potential problems or areas for improvement in a business or organization.