Charles Stross and Quantum Teleportation

In summary, the conversation discusses a claim made in the book "Singularity Sky" by author Charles Stross about the use of quantum entanglement for instantaneous communication. The individual is skeptical about the accuracy of this claim and expresses disappointment if it is actually a form of pseudo-science. The only thing that makes them consider the possibility of it not being pseudo-science is the mention of it not violating causality. However, the individual believes that if FTL communication is possible, then causality has been violated. They also mention the need for a classical communication channel to make use of the quantum black box.
CJames
I'm reading Singularity Sky and came across something that didn't sound right. Charles Stross is supposed to be known for accuracy in his sci-fi. But in this novel he claims quantum entanglement can be used for instantaneous communication. Here's the claim:

"A slower-than-light freighter had spent nearly a hundred years hauling the quantum black box at the core of the casual channel ... a twin to it had spent eighty years in the hold of a sister ship, en route to Earth. Now they provided an instantaneous communications channel from one planet to the other; instantaneous in terms of special relativity, but not capable of violating causality, and with a total capacity limited to the number of qubits they had been created with."

The only thing that makes me think he's not completely talking out his butt is the claim that it's not causality violating, but I'm not sure how that's possible. I would be disappointed to see psuedo-science in a Stross novel because I love his books, but that's what it looks like to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
CJames said:
The only thing that makes me think he's not completely talking out his butt is the claim that it's not causality violating
That's a cop out. If FTL communication is possible, then causality has been violated. There is nothing one can do with one's quantum black box (qbb) that would tell them with is happening with the other qbb, therefore it cannot be used to communicate. A classical communication channel is always necessary to do something meaningful with the qbb.

Related to Charles Stross and Quantum Teleportation

What is Charles Stross known for in relation to quantum teleportation?

Charles Stross is a science fiction writer who often incorporates concepts of quantum teleportation into his works, such as the "Merchant Princes" series and the novel "Halting State".

What is quantum teleportation?

Quantum teleportation is a process in which quantum information (such as the state of a particle) is transferred from one location to another, without physically moving the particle itself. It relies on the principles of quantum entanglement and can potentially be used for secure communication and faster data transmission.

Is quantum teleportation possible in real life?

While quantum teleportation has been successfully demonstrated in laboratory experiments, it is not yet possible to teleport macroscopic objects or humans. However, scientists continue to research and develop the technology for potential real-world applications.

How does quantum teleportation work?

Quantum teleportation involves two entangled particles, one at the sending location and one at the receiving location. The state of the particle at the sending location is measured and the information is transmitted to the receiving location, where the entangled particle is then manipulated to take on the same state as the original particle. This effectively transfers the quantum information from one location to another.

Are there any ethical concerns surrounding quantum teleportation?

As with any new technology, there are potential ethical concerns surrounding quantum teleportation, such as the potential for misuse or unintended consequences. Additionally, some may question the implications for personal identity if an individual's quantum state is transferred to another location. These are important considerations that should be addressed in the development and implementation of quantum teleportation technology.