Charging Time for RC Circuit with Capacitor and Resistor

In summary, we have discussed the use of an equation to determine the time it takes for a capacitor to become almost fully charged when connected in series with a resistor and EMF source. The equation used is Vc(t)=Vs(1-e^-t/RC), where Vc is the voltage across the capacitor, Vs is the voltage of the supply, t is time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance. It is important to note that the units of capacitance must be consistent in the equation, whether it is in microfarads or millifarads.
RougeSun

Homework Statement

A 1234. pF capacitor and a 5.6 × 106 ohm resistor are connected in series to 78. volts EMF. Approximately how long does it take the capacitor to become almost fully charged?

Homework Equations

Vf=Vo(1-e^(-t/RC))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the equation I'm using is correct. I know there is one that has Q in it but couldn't find it. If there is Q in it how do I link it to volts? Through C=Q/Z?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the equation you have. Just think, what will the voltage across the capacitor be when it is fully charged?

kuruman said:
You can use the equation you have. Just think, what will the voltage across the capacitor be when it is fully charged?

Ahh..okay. But wouldn't Vo be 0?

Look at your expression. If V0 were zero, then the voltage would be zero at all times and the capacitor would never charge. Here, V0 does not represent the "voltage at time t = 0". It represents the constant emf provided by the battery. What happens to your expression if you let time t go to infinity?

RougeSun said:

Homework Statement

A 1234. pF capacitor and a 5.6 × 106 ohm resistor are connected in series to 78. volts EMF. Approximately how long does it take the capacitor to become almost fully charged?

Homework Equations

Vf=Vo(1-e^(-t/RC))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the equation I'm using is correct. I know there is one that has Q in it but couldn't find it. If there is Q in it how do I link it to volts? Through C=Q/Z?

The equation that I have is Vc(t)=Vs(1-e^-t/RC)

Where Vc is the voltage across the capacitor
Vs is the voltae of the supply

Hope this helps.

Now I have a question:

Im working with a signal generator RC circuit. And I am trying to work out t=RC to workout the voltage waveform across the capacitor with the above mentioned formula.

This is a very basic formula, but following a few of them in a textbook has thrown me.

eg.
100 k Ohm
0.001 mirco F
This is what is in the textbook
t=RC=(100k)(0.001mF)=100millisecond
Now to me this is should be
t=RC=(100000 Ohm)(0.000000001 F)=0.0001 sec

I seem to be missing a decimal place each time. Can someone help please?

lee.perrin@gm said:
This is what is in the textbook
t=RC=(100k)(0.001mF)=100millisecond
This is correct as it stands.

1 mF (one millifarad) = 10-3F

1 μF (one microfarad) = 10-6F

Are you perhaps confusing the two?

The mF that I have in there is microfarad. I did not have the mu sign.

And as it is I don't get that value on the calculator.

I get 0.0001sec

lee.perrin@gm said:
The mF that I have in there is microfarad. I did not have the mu sign.

And as it is I don't get that value on the calculator.

I get 0.0001sec

Then you are correct and

RC=(100k)(0.001mF)=100millisecond

is also correct. In your case the capacitance is in microfarads and in the other case the capacitance is in millifarads.

Thank you for your help.

What I have done was made a mistake where it should be mircosecond not millisecond.

Related to Charging Time for RC Circuit with Capacitor and Resistor

1. How does an RC circuit charge a capacitor?

In an RC circuit, the capacitor is connected in series with a resistor and a voltage source. When the circuit is closed, current flows through the resistor, causing a potential difference to build up across the capacitor. This potential difference causes the capacitor to charge, storing energy in the form of an electric field between its plates.

2. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant, denoted by the symbol tau (τ), is a measure of how quickly a capacitor charges in an RC circuit. It is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C) in the circuit. A larger time constant means the capacitor will take longer to charge, while a smaller time constant means it will charge more quickly.

3. How does the voltage across the capacitor change during charging?

As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases. At first, the voltage increases rapidly, but as the capacitor approaches full charge, the rate of increase slows down. Once the capacitor is fully charged, the voltage across it will be equal to the voltage of the source.

4. What happens to the current in an RC circuit as the capacitor charges?

As the capacitor charges, the current in the circuit decreases. This is because as the voltage across the capacitor increases, the potential difference across the resistor decreases, resulting in a lower current according to Ohm's law (I = V/R). Eventually, when the capacitor is fully charged, no current will flow through the circuit.

5. How can the time constant of an RC circuit be changed?

The time constant of an RC circuit can be changed by altering either the resistance or the capacitance in the circuit. Increasing the resistance or decreasing the capacitance will result in a longer time constant, while decreasing the resistance or increasing the capacitance will result in a shorter time constant. This can affect the rate at which the capacitor charges and the voltage and current in the circuit.