Charges on an equilateral triangle

In summary, the force on the charge q is the result of the charges Q and Q interacting with each other. The force is in the \hat \imath_y direction, because the \hat \imath_x components of each force from the Q charges cancel out. If q is located at the top of the triangle, then the electric field at that point is zero.
4real4sure

Homework Statement

Charges Q, Q, and q lie on the corners of an equilateral triangle with sides of length a. Charge q lies on the top corner with Q and Q on the left and right corners.

(a) What is the force on the charge q?

(b) What must q be for E to be zero half-way up the altitudeat P?

Homework Equations

F=(1/4πε) * (q1q2/r2)

E = (1/4πε) * (q/r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) F = qQ / (4πεa2) iy

(b) Eq = q / (4πε (3/16 a2)) iy

and EQ = Q / (4πε (7/16 a2)) iy

I just wanted to know if the attempts are in proportion to the required?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
4real4sure said:

Homework Statement

Charges Q, Q, and q lie on the corners of an equilateral triangle with sides of length a. Charge q lies on the top corner with Q and Q on the left and right corners.

(a) What is the force on the charge q?

(b) What must q be for E to be zero half-way up the altitudeat P?

Homework Equations

F=(1/4πε) * (q1q2/r2)

E = (1/4πε) * (q/r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) F = qQ / (4πεa2) iy
No, that's not quite right.

You are correct that the net force is completely in the [itex] \hat \imath_y [/itex] direction. That is because the [itex] \hat \imath_x [/itex] components of each force from the Q charges cancel.

But the [itex] \hat \imath_y [/itex] force components do not lead to your answer.
(b) Eq = q / (4πε (3/16 a2)) iy

and EQ = Q / (4πε (7/16 a2)) iy
Those electric field calculations are not quite right either.

I tried to do it several times based on may understanding but for some reason I am so not able to reach to the solution. Any hint?

Did you begin with a diagram of the triangle, labeling all sides in cluding the altitude?
attachment.php?attachmentid=45937&stc=1&d=1333748959.gif

If you calculate the force that one Q exerts upon q along a side a, then what is the y-component of that force? Hint: you can determine the trigonometric functions (sin, cosine) of the angle using an appropriate ratio of sides.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 744
4real4sure said:
I tried to do it several times based on may understanding but for some reason I am so not able to reach to the solution. Any hint?
Let's start with the first part (a).

For each charge Q at the bottom, you can find the magnitude of the force from that particular charge on charge q using

[tex] \vec F = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{qQ}{r_2} \hat \imath_r. [/tex]

where [itex] \hat \imath_r [/itex] points in the direction from the particular Q to q.

But the [itex] \hat \imath_r [/itex] for one charge is different from the [itex] \hat \imath_r [/itex] of the other charge, because they point in different directions. So you can't just add them simply. For each case, you need to break up [itex] \hat \imath_r [/itex] into its [itex] \hat \imath_x [/itex] and [itex] \hat \imath_y [/itex] components.

That might involve something like

[tex] F_x = F\cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] F_y = F \sin \theta [/tex]
(This relationship is just for example purposes, the particular relationship may depend on the particular problem/particular pair of charges).

Or if you don't want to use trigonometric functions, you can do it using the Pthagorean theorem (which works with this problem). If a is the side of an equilateral triangle, and you vertically bisect the triangle down the middle, forming two isosceles triangles, then the base of each isosceles triangles is a/2. What does Pthagorean theorem tell you about the height of the triangle relative to a?

I tried and I finally reached the solution. Thanks for all your support!

I am working on the second part of this question and don't understand why the (7/16) is to the power of 3/2. Am I just missing something obvious?

Last edited:
lystrade said:
I am working on the second part of this question and don't understand why the (7/16) is to the power of 3/2. Am I just missing something obvious?

In order to be able to comment we'll have to see your work.

Related to Charges on an equilateral triangle

1) What is the relationship between the charges on an equilateral triangle?

The charges on an equilateral triangle have a direct relationship with each other, meaning that they affect each other's magnitude and direction. This relationship is known as Coulomb's Law.

2) How does the distance between the charges on an equilateral triangle affect their force?

The force between two charges on an equilateral triangle is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force between them decreases.

3) Can the charges on an equilateral triangle be of different magnitudes?

Yes, the charges on an equilateral triangle can be of different magnitudes. However, the sum of the charges on each side of the triangle must be equal in order to maintain the triangle's equilibrium.

4) How does the direction of the charges on an equilateral triangle affect their force?

The direction of the charges on an equilateral triangle plays a crucial role in determining the force between them. If the charges are of the same sign, they will repel each other, while charges of opposite signs will attract each other.

5) Can the charges on an equilateral triangle be placed at any angle?

No, the charges on an equilateral triangle must be placed at specific angles to maintain the triangle's equilibrium. If the charges are not placed at the correct angles, the forces between them will not cancel out, and the triangle will not be in equilibrium.