Charge to Mass Ratio difference between Electrons and Protons.

In summary, the student approached their teacher with a question about the concentration of energy in sub atomic particles. The teacher informed them that the charge to mass ratio of both the proton and electron are the same. However, the student questioned how a neutral atom can have no charge if the same amount of electrons and protons are present. The student then presented a model to explain their understanding, but was corrected by the teacher. The teacher clarified that there is no concentration of energy, but rather a difference in charge to mass ratio. The student thanked the teacher for the clarification.
sdensmore
1. In class we are discussing sub atomic particles and I approached my teacher with this question: If a electron is 2000 times smaller (roughly) than a proton, then the concentration of energy in the electron must be roughly 2000 times greater correct? She informed me that the charge to mass ratio of both the proton and electron are the same. But if this is true then how can a proton and electron when together have no charge? How could any atom with the same amount of electrons as protons have no charge?
2. No equations but let me put before you this model. (computer equivalent since i can't draw it out as it is on my paper...)

O <- this is the proton.
o <- this is the electron.

Notice that the proton is larger than the electron.
If they both have a charge of 1, Negative 1 for the electron, positive 1 for the proton, then the concentration of energy in the much larger proton must be less, though the same amount of energy is still present, it is spread out further than the tightly packed energy of the electron. In my opinion this has to be true for a neutral charge to remain.

3. Well I guess my attempt is the above. Note that this is not homework, but simply something that I need to know so I can sleep peacefully again.

Physics news on Phys.org
She informed me that the charge to mass ratio of both the proton and electron are the same.
This is wrong - the charge is the same but as you said the proton is roughly 2000 times heavier.

then the concentration of energy in the electron must be roughly 2000 times greater
There isn't really a concentration of energy - all you can say is that the charge:mass ratio is 2000 greater.

mgb_phys said:
This is wrong - the charge is the same but as you said the proton is roughly 2000 times heavier.

There isn't really a concentration of energy - all you can say is that the charge:mass ratio is 2000 greater.
Thanks for that. And I simply said concentration to clarify my thoughts a bit.

Related to Charge to Mass Ratio difference between Electrons and Protons.

1. What is the charge to mass ratio difference between electrons and protons?

The charge to mass ratio difference between electrons and protons is significant. Electrons have a negative charge of -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs and a mass of 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms, giving them a charge to mass ratio of -1.76 x 10^11 coulombs per kilogram. Protons, on the other hand, have a positive charge of +1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs and a mass of 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms, giving them a charge to mass ratio of +9.58 x 10^7 coulombs per kilogram. This means that electrons have a much larger charge to mass ratio compared to protons.

2. Why do electrons and protons have different charge to mass ratios?

Electrons and protons have different charge to mass ratios due to the fundamental properties of these particles. Electrons are much smaller and lighter than protons, so their charge has a larger effect on their overall charge to mass ratio. Additionally, the charge of an electron is negative while the charge of a proton is positive, resulting in opposite charge to mass ratios.

3. How is the charge to mass ratio of an electron or proton calculated?

The charge to mass ratio of an electron or proton is calculated by dividing the particle's charge by its mass. The charge can be determined experimentally using an instrument called a mass spectrometer, which measures the deflection of charged particles in an electric and magnetic field. The mass can also be measured using this instrument or through other methods such as the mass-energy equivalence equation E=mc^2.

4. Does the charge to mass ratio of electrons and protons affect their behavior in an electric field?

Yes, the charge to mass ratio of electrons and protons does affect their behavior in an electric field. Due to their larger charge to mass ratio, electrons experience a much larger force in an electric field compared to protons. This is why electrons are more easily deflected and accelerated in an electric field compared to protons.

5. How does the charge to mass ratio of electrons and protons impact the structure of atoms?

The charge to mass ratio of electrons and protons plays a crucial role in the structure of atoms. The negative charge of electrons and positive charge of protons create an attractive force that keeps the electrons in orbit around the nucleus of an atom. The mass of protons also contributes to the overall mass of the atom, while the mass of electrons is negligible. This balance of charge and mass is what allows atoms to form stable structures and give rise to the diversity of elements in the periodic table.