Charge Densities & Dirac's Delta Function

In summary, the volume charge density of a ring of radius r_0 and uniform charge density \lambda is \rho(\textbf{x}). The attempt at a solution is to use the Dirac Delta Function to wrap the wire around in a circle. If you know the volume charge density in cylindrical coordinates, you can transform it to the appropriate spherical coordinate system.
jdwood983

Homework Statement

What is the (volume) charge density of a ring of radius [tex]r_0[/tex] and uniform charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex]?

Homework Equations

The Dirac Delta Function

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done a few line charge densities of straight wires along an axis (usually z, but on x as well), but I'm getting stuck at using the delta functions when wrapping the wire around in a circle. I am pretty sure I'll want the ring to be lying in the y-z plane, as the problem continues with an integral with [tex]\cos\theta[/tex] in the integrand and [tex]\theta[/tex], being measured from the z-axis, should give me a delta function there to make the integral easier.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you are told otherwise, you are free to choose whatever coordinate system you like. Personally, I'd use cylindrical coordinates [itex]\{r,\theta,z\}[/itex] oriented so that the ring is in the xy-plane and centered on the origin...when you do this, the ring has zero extent in both the [itex]z[/itex] and radial directions, so you would expect the volume charge density to be of the form [itex]\rho(\textbf{x})\propto\delta(r-r_0)\delta(z)[/itex]...I'll leave it up to you to find the constant of proportionality by means of a suitable integration...

I don't think that using cylindrical coordinates will work for me in this case as the "problem continues" part involves the ring existing between two grounded spheres of differing radii, which requires spherical coordinates.Small note, which really is a bit of nit-picking from a newbie poster to a certified Homework Helper, but you should use [tex](\rho,\phi,z)[/tex] for cylindrical coordinates and not [tex](r,\theta,z)[/tex] due to the similarity to spherical coordinates and the confusion it can bring using your method.

Also, the constant of proportionality, in cylindrical coordinates, would be, [tex]\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r}[/tex] ;)

jdwood983 said:
I don't think that using cylindrical coordinates will work for me in this case as the "problem continues" part involves the ring existing between two grounded spheres of differing radii, which requires spherical coordinates.

If you know the volume charge density in cylindrical coordinates, what's to stop you from transforming it to the appropriate spherical coordinate system?

Small note, which really is a bit of nit-picking from a newbie poster to a certified Homework Helper, but you should use [tex](\rho,\phi,z)[/tex] for cylindrical coordinates and not [tex](r,\theta,z)[/tex] due to the similarity to spherical coordinates and the confusion it can bring using your method.

There are only so many letters in the Greek and Latin alphabets. Using [itex]\rho[/itex] as the radial coordinate can also be confusing, since it is the same letter typically used for the volume charge density. There is no harm in using [itex]\{r,\theta,z}[/itex] as long as it is made clear that [itex]r[/itex] in this context, is the distance from the z-axis. Different authors use different notations with varying degrees of sloppiness, so a student must always look to the context in which a variable is used, to understand what it represents.

Also, the constant of proportionality, in cylindrical coordinates, would be, [tex]\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r}[/tex] ;)

Are you sure about that?:wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
If you know the volume charge density in cylindrical coordinates, what's to stop you from transforming it to the appropriate spherical coordinate system?

Good point, working on that now

Are you sure about that?:wink:

See, this goes back to the spherical/cylindrical units--there shouldn't be the r in the denominator as lambda has units of charge/meter and each delta function has units of 1/meter making the three combined to be charge/meter^3; integrating this over all space gives charge, as it should. whoops!

jdwood983 said:
See, this goes back to the spherical/cylindrical units--there shouldn't be the r in the denominator as lambda has units of charge/meter and each delta function has units of 1/meter making the three combined to be charge/meter^3; integrating this over all space gives charge, as it should. whoops!

The [itex]2\pi[/itex] also isn't necessary... Integrating the linear charge density over the ring should give the total charge, as should integrating the volume charge density over all space...perform the integrations and compare the results.

You're right, did the integral and got the constant=[tex]\lambda[/tex].

Back to the original problem, though I didn't convert from cylindrical to spherical because it didn't look quite right, I end up with a charge density of

[tex]
\rho(\mathbf{r})=\frac{\lambda\pi}{2r_0}\delta(r-r_0)\left[\delta\left(\phi-\frac{3\pi}{2}\right)+\delta\left(\phi-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right]
[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle sweeping from +z to -z and [tex]\phi[/tex] sweeps from +x towards +y. This still seems off to me, but [tex]\theta[/tex] runs from [tex]0\rightarrow\pi[/tex] so a point sticking out at radius [tex]r_0[/tex] and sweeping down [tex]\theta[/tex] at [tex]\phi=\pi/2[/tex] and [tex]\phi=3\pi/2[/tex] should give a circle on the y-z plane, right?

The constant of proportionality then comes from

[tex]
Q=2\pi r_0\lambda=M\int_0^\infty r^2dr\delta(r-r_0)\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi\left[\delta\left(\phi-\frac{3\pi}{2}\right)+\delta\left(\phi-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right]\int_{-1}^1d(\cos\theta)
[/tex]

giving

[tex]
M=\frac{2\pi r_0 \lambda}{r_0^24}=\frac{\lambda\pi}{2r_0}
[/tex]

Does this make sense to you, because it still seems a little funny to me.

You should double check your value of [itex]M[/itex], but the general form of [itex]\rho[/itex] looks fine to me.

Related to Charge Densities & Dirac's Delta Function

1. What is charge density?

Charge density is a physical quantity that describes the amount of electric charge per unit volume at a given point in space. It is commonly denoted by the symbol ρ and is measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3).

2. How is charge density related to electric fields?

Charge density is directly related to electric fields through Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface. In other words, the electric field is proportional to the charge density at a given point in space.

3. What is the Dirac's delta function?

The Dirac's delta function, denoted by δ, is a mathematical function that represents a point mass or point charge at a specific location. It is zero everywhere except at that specific location, where it is infinite. It is commonly used in physics to model point-like particles or point sources of energy or charge.

4. How is the Dirac's delta function used in charge density calculations?

The Dirac's delta function is used in charge density calculations to represent a point charge or point source of charge at a specific location. It allows us to mathematically describe the charge distribution at a point in space, which is useful in many applications, such as solving for the electric potential or electric field due to a point charge.

5. What are some common misconceptions about charge densities and Dirac's delta function?

One common misconception is that the Dirac's delta function represents a physical particle or point charge. In reality, it is simply a mathematical tool used to model point-like objects in physics. Another misconception is that charge density is always constant throughout a given region. In reality, charge density can vary depending on the distribution of charges within that region.