Changing the LAN card in a CPU

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary, changing the LAN card in a CPU involves physically removing the old card and replacing it with a new one, ensuring compatibility and proper installation. This process may also require updating drivers and configuring network settings. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and consult the manufacturer's instructions for a successful and smooth replacement.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
There must be people here who remember me discussing about lightning affecting my neighbour's appliances. Now it seems that I am also a victim.

But in my case, the problem is different: the lightning has come up through the cable of broadband connected to my PC, thereby burning the LAN card.

Now, I opened up the cabinet, and the LAN card is connected to the motherboard, as shown below:

Motherboard.jpg

It is evident that I won't be able to change the LAN card without desoldering the one fixed to the motherboard, and I'm in no mood to play with the motherboard.

I was searching for LAN card online, and found a few, like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9R7FNK/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I want to fit it in one of these ports:

Ports.jpg

The question is, will that work? I have a 100Mbps broadband connection.

As per amazon user reviews, I won't need a CD for installation.

Attachments

• Ports.jpg
    Ports.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 639
  • Motherboard.jpg
    Motherboard.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 721
Computer science news on Phys.org
Looks like that card should work, but you should check your motherboard spec and the lan card specs to ensure they are exactly compatible.

russ_watters said:
Looks like that card should work, but you should check your motherboard spec and the lan card specs to ensure they are exactly compatible.
How do I find the motherboard specs? I know it's made by Asus.

See the label P7H55-M-LX I think that is an Asus model number.

Likes Wrichik Basu
russ_watters said:
As per the motherboard specs and the specs of the LAN card, it should work on my windows 7.

CWatters said:
You might need to disable the onboard LAN controller incase enough of it is working to cause a conflict. Google found...https://www.manualslib.com/manual/438745/Asus-P7h55-M-Lx-Usb3.html?page=37

Scroll to bottom of that page.
I found a short video showing the bios settings. I found how to disable the inbuilt LAN card.

The card is no longer being detected, and is not showing up under network adapters list. But I'll still be on the safe side and disable it before loading the new one.

Do I have to change anything on bios after plugging in the card?

Last edited:
Usually this Windows will automatically find drivers although they may not be the latest. I would allow windows time to do its thing when you power it up. Once connected to the internet perhaps run windows update to see if there is a newer driver.

Likes Wrichik Basu
CWatters said:
Usually this Windows will automatically find drivers although they may not be the latest. I would allow windows time to do its thing when you power it up. Once connected to the internet perhaps run windows update to see if there is a newer driver.
OK, thank you for the help.

Wrichik Basu said:
Do I have to change anything on bios after plugging in the card?
CWatters said:
I use the free version of SlimDrivers a lot. Works very well.

Likes Wrichik Basu
dlgoff said:
I use the free version of SlimDrivers a lot. Works very well.
At least one review claims it is a huge source of malware. I glanced at their webpage, the source is over 4500 lines with LOTS of cookie and advertising code.

Tom.G said:
At least one review claims it is a huge source of malware. I glanced at their webpage, the source is over 4500 lines with LOTS of cookie and advertising code.
bold by me
I don't think that's true. It's a "stand alone" 28.7 KB .exe file (SlimDrivers.exe). Are you sure you looked at the free version?

BTW I've used it for several years now with no problems.

dlgoff said:
I don't think that's true. It's a "stand alone" 28.7 KB .exe file (SlimDrivers.exe). Are you sure you looked at the free version?

BTW I've used it for several years now with no problems.

Yeah, it was the free version. Reading you post (and re-reading mine),
Tom.G said:
I glanced at their webpage, the source is over 4500 lines with LOTS of cookie and advertising code.
I realized my post was rather ambiguous in that the "4500 lines" I referred to was for the web page itself, not source code for the program, which I have not seen.

Sorry if that led to any confusion.

Cheers,
Tom

I've only ever needed to use

a) drivers supplied on disc with the hardware and updated online from the hardware makers webvsite or
b) drivers that windows found automatically.

I don't see any advantage in using anything else unless it's all you can find.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu and Tom.G
Bit dated but still worth a look...

https://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/freeware-installation-and-usage/11512-slimdriver-warning.html

Likes davenn and Tom.G
Bought the lan card and fixed it on the slot.

20180521_130608.jpg

It's working properly. There was a problem with the screws. The CPU cabinet is about 18 years old, and if I tried to tightly screw the card, it was coming off. Anyways, I fixed it somehow with a single screw.

I thank all who have helped in choosing the accessory, and given further installation instructions, especially @CWatters.

Attachments

• 20180521_130608.jpg
    20180521_130608.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 481
Jolly good.

Related to Changing the LAN card in a CPU

1. How do I know if my LAN card needs to be changed?

A LAN (Local Area Network) card is responsible for connecting your computer to a network. If you are experiencing frequent connectivity issues or slow internet speeds, it could be a sign that your LAN card needs to be replaced. You can also check the device manager on your computer to see if there are any errors or warnings related to the LAN card.

2. What tools do I need to change a LAN card?

To change a LAN card, you will need a small screwdriver, the new LAN card, and possibly an anti-static wrist strap. It is also helpful to have the installation disc or drivers for the new LAN card.

3. Is changing a LAN card difficult?

Changing a LAN card is a relatively simple process. However, it does require some technical knowledge and careful handling of computer components. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is best to seek the help of a professional.

4. Can I use any LAN card in my CPU?

No, not all LAN cards are compatible with all CPUs. You will need to make sure that the LAN card you choose is compatible with your specific CPU and operating system. This information can usually be found on the manufacturer's website or on the product packaging.

5. How do I install the new LAN card?

To install a new LAN card, you will need to first remove the old one by unscrewing it from the motherboard and disconnecting any cables. Then, insert the new LAN card into an available PCI slot and secure it with screws. Finally, connect any necessary cables and install the drivers for the new card.