Changing the course of an asteroid

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the time it will take to deflect an asteroid on a collision course with Earth using a thruster. The equation d=Vi*t+0.5*a*t^2 is suggested, with values for initial velocity, acceleration, and distance provided. It is then clarified that the asteroid's initial velocity is not solely pointed towards Earth, but also in two other directions.
Cret

Homework Statement

Hello all,

I am really having trouble with following. I want to find the answer myself, but i do not know what equation/s i should apply to solve the problem.

My Question.

How long will it take to deflect an asteroid on a collision course with Earth by attaching a 2000N thruster. I must change the course of the asteroid by 12 Earth diameters. Mass of the Asteroid is 1.3x10^2 kg

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a distance that needs to be traveled. You have mass and force, so you have acceleration. How would you relate acceleration, distance and time?

minger said:
You have a distance that needs to be traveled. You have mass and force, so you have acceleration. How would you relate acceleration, distance and time?

Thanks for the reply

Presumably I rearrange F=ma to find the acceleration

F = 2000 N
m = mass of asteroid? 1.3x10^12

Since the asteroid has an initial velocity of (20,000 m/s) i suppose i should use the following equation (rearranged to find time):

d=Vi*t+0.5*a*t^2

Where
Vi = initial velocity (20,000 m/s)
a = acceleration (found in the first part)
t = time
d = distance (known)

No, remember that velocity is a vector, it has both magnitude and direction. Because it says that the astroid is on a collision course, you can assume that the direction is pointed directly towards Earth.

However, you simply want to change the course of it. What is the astroid's velocity in the two directions not towards earth?

Related to Changing the course of an asteroid

1. How can we change the course of an asteroid?

There are several proposed methods for changing the course of an asteroid. Some involve using rockets to push the asteroid off its path, while others suggest using a gravity tractor to gradually alter its trajectory. Another option is to use a kinetic impactor, which involves crashing a spacecraft into the asteroid to change its course.

2. Why would we want to change the course of an asteroid?

If an asteroid is on a collision course with Earth, changing its course can potentially save millions of lives and prevent catastrophic damage. Additionally, changing the course of an asteroid can help us study and learn more about these celestial bodies, potentially leading to a better understanding of our solar system.

3. How much time do we need to change the course of an asteroid?

The amount of time needed to change the course of an asteroid depends on several factors, including the size and speed of the asteroid, as well as the chosen method of altering its trajectory. In most cases, it would be ideal to have several years to plan and execute a course change, but it is possible to make smaller adjustments with less time.

4. Are there any risks involved in changing the course of an asteroid?

As with any space mission, there are potential risks involved in attempting to change the course of an asteroid. These risks could include the failure of the spacecraft or technology used to alter the asteroid's trajectory, potential damage to the asteroid, or unintended consequences on the asteroid's orbit. It is important for scientists to carefully assess and mitigate these risks before attempting a course change.

5. Has changing the course of an asteroid ever been done before?

While there have been several missions to study and collect samples from asteroids, there has not yet been a successful attempt to change the course of an asteroid. However, there have been simulations and tests of different methods, and scientists are continually working on developing and refining techniques for deflecting potentially hazardous asteroids.