Changing core for an inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of changing the core of an inductor from air to iron or other materials on the voltage drop across the inductor. It is stated that for static conditions, the DC resistance of the winding does not change when a core is introduced. However, for AC conditions, the resistance may increase due to increased skin effect. There is also a mention of a forum post discussing the increase in resistance when an iron core is introduced. The conversation ends with a question about the effect of a diamagnetic material on the voltage drop due to counter EMF.
ed stars
Suppose you have a pure DC supply with a constant current to an inductor. And you change the core of the inductor from air to iron, leaving the current remain the same. You may try changing to other materials. Does the voltage drop across the inductor will remain the same for any core? Anyone who performed an experiment on this? Or have an answer. Note, I am not referring to changing magnetic field. Voltage measurement should be done during the time the magnetic field becomes stable.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ed stars said:
Suppose you have a pure DC supply with a constant current to an inductor. And you change the core of the inductor from air to iron, leaving the current remain the same. You may try changing to other materials. Does the voltage drop across the inductor will remain the same for any core? Anyone who performed an experiment on this? Or have an answer. Note, I am not referring to changing magnetic field. Voltage measurement should be done during the time the magnetic field becomes stable.
The DC resistance is unaltered when you change the core, so the voltage will be the same.

To tech99. The DC resistance you might be reffering is due to the winding of the wire, which will always be constant regardless of the core. This is the basis of voltage drop. I am curious if the core has effect on voltage drop in addition to the wire windings.

I found this post in one of the forum. I am not sure if this an experimental proof. "Why does the resistance of an inductor increase when an iron core is introduced?"

ed stars said:
I found this post in one of the forum. I am not sure if this an experimental proof. "Why does the resistance of an inductor increase when an iron core is introduced?"
The resistance for AC will increase when a core is introduced due to increased skin effect. But for static conditions, as asked in the question, the DC resistance of the winding does not alter when a core is introduced.

tech99 said:
The resistance for AC will increase when a core is introduced due to increased skin effect. But for static conditions, as asked in the question, the DC resistance of the winding does not alter when a core is introduced.
thanks tech99. i am thinking what will happen if we put a diamagnetic material in the core. will it affect the voltage drop due to the counter emf?

Related to Changing core for an inductor

1. How does changing the core of an inductor affect its performance?

Changing the core of an inductor can significantly affect its performance. The core material plays a crucial role in determining the inductor's inductance, resistance, and frequency range. A change in core material can also impact the inductor's efficiency, stability, and saturation current.

2. What are the different types of cores used in inductors?

The most common core types used in inductors are air core, iron core, ferrite core, powdered iron core, and laminated core. Each type has its unique properties and is suitable for different applications. For example, air core inductors have low inductance but can handle high frequencies, while iron core inductors have high inductance but lower frequency capabilities.

3. How do I choose the right core for my inductor?

The choice of core material for an inductor depends on various factors such as the required inductance value, frequency range, current handling capacity, and size constraints. It is essential to consider these factors and select the core material that best suits your specific application needs.

4. Can I change the core of an existing inductor?

Yes, it is possible to change the core of an existing inductor. However, it is crucial to consider the design and specifications of the inductor before making any changes. Changing the core material can alter the inductor's electrical and physical characteristics, so it is essential to carefully evaluate the impact of the change before proceeding.

5. What are the benefits of changing the core of an inductor?

Changing the core of an inductor can offer various benefits, such as improving its performance, increasing its inductance, or expanding its frequency range. It can also help in reducing the size and weight of the inductor without compromising its functionality. Additionally, changing the core can also improve the inductor's efficiency and stability in certain applications.