What is the purpose of an inductor?

• Thread starter AchillesWrathfulLove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductor
In summary, inductors come in all shapes and sizes and have a variety of uses. AC current is usually used with inductors because it always changes.
AchillesWrathfulLove
If an inductor requires a changing current to produce a voltage drop across itself Then is there any purpose to an inductor with constant current going through it? Is AC usually used with inductors since its always changing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
AchillesWrathfulLove said:
If an inductor requires a changing current to produce a voltage drop across itself Then is there any purpose to an inductor with constant current going through it? Is AC usually used with inductors since its always changing.
Inductors come in all shapes and sizes. They have various uses, many at the fundamental level basically exploit the inductor's mathematical function that ##v(t)\ =\ L.\dfrac{di(t)}{dt}##
though some applications also exploit non-linear behavior of the inductor's core material.

Where the inductor current is fixed, often it's the presence of the inductor that is causing the circuit current to be constant.

An example where an inductor may be fed a constant current is an electromagnet.

Likes AchillesWrathfulLove
Here is another question about Inductors. What kind of energy is stored in inductors? Capacitor is easy because it is stored in an electric field and that is basically just more electrons on what side of a "plate" than the other which is potential energy in the classical mechanics sense. What about an inductor, is that potential energy, if so how so?

Magnetic field. To the uninformed, electric fields sound more "physical" than magnetic fields, but in reality they are both part of the same electromagnetic effects.

Likes Fisherman199
I always found thinking of electromagnetism as oscillating charges as opposed to oscillating electromagnetic fields. Something more physical to grasp as an idea I suppose.

I always found thinking of electromagnetism as oscillating charges as opposed to oscillating electromagnetic fields. Something more physical to grasp as an idea I suppose.

That is a really poor way to learn things, just sitting there trying to visualize them in your mind. I suggest a textbook, or a course on video as much more effective ways to learn.

Likes Fisherman199, Asymptotic, sophiecentaur and 2 others
Thanks for the advice!

I always found thinking of electromagnetism as oscillating charges

The way to appreciate inductance is working with it -

Sadly automobiles no longer have points .
Every kid in my generation got 'bit' by the inductive 'kick' of an ignition coil;
which gives you a literal feeling of e = -L di/dt . (or if you prefer Δamps / Δtime) .https://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Experiment-to-Visualize-Magnetic-Fields/

Likes sophiecentaur and NascentOxygen

Think of magnetic flux as a massless fluid that surrounds any current.
We can't see it, i guess Mother Nature wanted us to figure it out when we were ready.
But the old "Sprinkle iron filings around a coil with DC" trick reveals it
picture courtesy of https://physics.unm.edu/pandaweb/demos/images/5h1540.jpg
5h1540.jpg

you can even see the little circles surrounding each individual wire . In a transformer they'd be 'leakage flux.

With AC current the whole field expands, contracts and reverses direction at line frequency..

So put your imagination to work and improve your mental image.

Attachments

• 5h1540.jpg
    5h1540.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 621
Likes AchillesWrathfulLove
Lives of buck converters, boost converters, and buck-boost converters would be so empty without inductors.

Related to What is the purpose of an inductor?

What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coil of wire and is used in a variety of electronic circuits.

What is the purpose of an inductor?

The main purpose of an inductor is to resist changes in current flow. It can also be used to filter out certain frequencies in a circuit, store energy, and create magnetic fields.

How does an inductor work?

An inductor works by creating a magnetic field when current flows through it. This magnetic field then stores energy, which can be released when the current stops flowing or changes direction.

What are some common applications of inductors?

Inductors are commonly used in power supplies, filters, amplifiers, and oscillators. They are also found in a variety of electronic devices, such as televisions, radios, and computers.

What are the different types of inductors?

There are several types of inductors, including air core, iron core, and ferrite core inductors. They can also be classified as fixed or variable inductors, depending on their ability to change their inductance.