Change of variables for multiple integrals (2)

In summary: If it is not obvious, then you need to be more explicit about what you are trying to do.In summary, the value of f(x) d4x is ((2pi)4).
kingwinner
Q1: Suppose B=[0,1]x[0,2]x[0,3]x[0,4] in R4, and that C=[0,1]x[0,1]x[0,1]x[0,1]. Given that
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫f(x)=d4x=(2pi)4
B
What is the value of
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫ f(x1,2x2,3x3,4x4) d4x?
C

Solution:
Define x=G(u)=(u1,u2/2,u3/3,u4/4)

∫ ∫ ∫ ∫ f(x1,2x2,3x3,4x4) d4x
C

by change of variables theorem,
=(1/24) ∫ ∫ ∫ ∫ f(u1,u2,u3,u4) d4u
------B=G-1(C)

=(1/24)∫ ∫ ∫ ∫ f(u)d4u
---------B

=(2pi)4/24

============================================
I don't understand the last step...
We are only given that
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫f(x)=d4x=(2pi)4
B
NOT that
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫f(u)=d4u=(2pi)4
B
I will tell you what I am thinking about. Here, u=(u1,u2,u3,u4) and x=(x1,x2,x3,x4) CANNOT be treated as dummy variables since they have a relationship x=G(u) used to define the transformation G, but the last step of the solution seems to treat that x=u, which makes me feel very uncomfortable...

Can someone explain? I would really appreciate it!:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a "dummy variable" is?
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x) dx= \int_0^1 f(y)dy= \int_0^1 f(u)du[/tex]
In other words, it doesn't matter what the variable is called.

They have simply switched the first integral from "x" to "u" so as not to confuse it with the "x" in the second integral.

HallsofIvy said:
Do you know what a "dummy variable" is?
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x) dx= \int_0^1 f(y)dy= \int_0^1 f(u)du[/tex]
In other words, it doesn't matter what the variable is called.

They have simply switched the first integral from "x" to "u" so as not to confuse it with the "x" in the second integral.
Dummy variable means we can replace by another letter not already in use while not changing the answer, right?

But x=G(u)=(u1,u2/2,u3/3,u4/4), there are explicit dependencies between u and x, does that matter?

kingwinner said:
Dummy variable means we can replace by another letter not already in use while not changing the answer, right?

But x=G(u)=(u1,u2/2,u3/3,u4/4), there are explicit dependencies between u and x, does that matter?
What if, instead of x = G(u), you had used t = G(u)?

Mathdope said:
What if, instead of x = G(u), you had used t = G(u)?

Well, I don't think this can happen at all...

The question is
"What is the value of
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫ f(x1,2x2,3x3,4x4) d4x?"
C

So we need a transformation that involves x, namely, x=G(u), right?

kingwinner said:
Q1: Suppose B=[0,1]x[0,2]x[0,3]x[0,4] in R4, and that C=[0,1]x[0,1]x[0,1]x[0,1]. Given that
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫f(x)d4x=(2pi)4
B

============================================
I don't understand the last step...
We are only given that
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫f(x)d4x=(2pi)4
B
NOT that
∫ ∫ ∫ ∫f(u)d4u=(2pi)4
B
There is no difference between the two. It doesn't matter that the variable you end up with is different than the variable you started with. You have an integral that is of the exact same form. Suppose it were originally given as this:

∫ ∫ ∫ ∫f(z)d4z=(2pi)4
B

Would that help you out?

Mathdope said:
There is no difference between the two. It doesn't matter that the variable you end up with is different than the variable you started with. You have an integral that is of the exact same form. Suppose it were originally given as this:

∫ ∫ ∫ ∫f(z)d4z=(2pi)4
B

Would that help you out?

Yes, this will sort of help.

The thing that really bothers me was that there is a relationship between x and u, so replacing x with u makes me feel uncomfortable...but I think I am OK now...

If you replace "x" by "t" (or any other symbol) and then make that replacement all the way through it should be obvious that it doesn't make any difference at all.

Related to Change of variables for multiple integrals (2)

1. How do you determine the limits of integration in a change of variables for multiple integrals?

The limits of integration in a change of variables are determined by using the transformation equations and the original limits of integration. These equations allow you to express the integrand in terms of the new variables, and then you can use the original limits to find the new limits in terms of the new variables.

2. What is the purpose of using a change of variables in multiple integrals?

The purpose of using a change of variables in multiple integrals is to simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate the integral. It can also help to transform the integrand into a more familiar form, allowing for easier application of integration techniques.

3. Can a change of variables be used for any type of multiple integral?

Yes, a change of variables can be used for any type of multiple integral, including double and triple integrals. It can also be extended to higher dimensions for multiple integrals with more than three variables.

4. What are some common transformations used in a change of variables for multiple integrals?

Some common transformations used in a change of variables include polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates for double and triple integrals. Other transformations may also be used depending on the specific integrand and desired outcome.

5. Can a change of variables affect the value of a multiple integral?

Yes, a change of variables can affect the value of a multiple integral. This is because the transformation can change the shape and size of the region of integration, which can in turn change the value of the integral. However, if the transformation is chosen carefully, the value of the integral should remain the same.