Change of variable in triple integrals

In summary, you substituted u=x/a, v=y/b, and w=z in your homework problem. When you did this, you changed the volume of the problem from ab\pi/2 to ab*dudvdw. When you tried to solve for w or z, you got an incorrect answer. The upper limit for w or z is dependent on r and θ, which are not given in the problem. When you substituted u=x/a, v=y/b, and w=z, the problem changed from a volume problem to a surface area problem. When you substituted u=x/a, v=y/b, and t=w in the cylindrical coordinates,
Smusko

Homework Statement

Solve for the volume above the xy-plane and below the paraboloid z=1-x2/a2-y2/b2

I have gotten an answer that is close to the correct one, but I can't figure out where I am wrong.

Homework Equations

Solution: Volume is = ab[tex]\pi[/tex]/2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I substituted
u=x/a,
v=y/b,
w=z,

That changed dV = ab*dudvdw = dV*

Now the domain looks like this: Above the uv-plane and below 1=u2+v2+w

I substitute again to Cylindrical coordinates.

u=r*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
v=r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
w=t

The are element becomes dV* = abr*drd[tex]\theta[/tex]dt

So now if I have TripleIntegral(abr)drdtd[tex]\theta[/tex]
From that I get ab*(r2/2)*(t)*(theta)
Evaluate this over
0≤r≤1
0≤[tex]\theta[/tex]theta≤2pi
0≤t≤1

and I get ab*pi but the solution section says it becomes ab*pi/2 and I can't figure out where I am wrong or made a mistake.

Sorry for the alternating use of greek symbols and text. Sometimes the Latex reference works for me, sometimes it don't.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There appears to be either an error with how you've written the problem, or your first substitution. Is the a and b in the original equation for the paraboloid supposed to be squared? You've proceeded as if this were the case.

Thanks, you are right. a and b are supposed to be squared in the problem statement. I'll edit it right away.

Smusko said:
Evaluate this over
0≤r≤1
0≤t≤1

and I get ab*pi but the solution section says it becomes ab*pi/2 and I can't figure out where I am wrong or made a mistake.

Sorry for the alternating use of greek symbols and text. Sometimes the Latex reference works for me, sometimes it don't.

But t doesn't go from 0 to 1. The upper limit depends on r and θ.

You are right. I'l check into that. Thanks.

Actually the height is dependent on t. It is a cylinder and R and theta only decides the area of the circle. So that can't be what's wrong.
What I'm not 100 percent sure of is the limit.

Last edited:
Smusko said:

Homework Statement

Solve for the volume above the xy-plane and below the paraboloid z=1-x2/a2-y2/b2

I have gotten an answer that is close to the correct one, but I can't figure out where I am wrong.

Homework Equations

Solution: Volume is = ab[tex]\pi[/tex]/2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I substituted
u=x/a,
v=y/b,
w=z,

That changed dV = ab*dudvdw = dV*

Now the domain looks like this: Above the uv-plane and below 1=u2+v2+w

I substitute again to Cylindrical coordinates.

u=r*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
v=r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
w=t

The are element becomes dV* = abr*drd[tex]\theta[/tex]dt

Evaluate this over
0≤r≤1
0≤t≤1

LCKurtz said:
But t doesn't go from 0 to 1. The upper limit depends on r and θ.

Smusko said:
Actually the height is dependent on t. It is a cylinder and R and theta only decides the area of the circle. So that can't be what's wrong.
What I'm not 100 percent sure of is the limit.

Look at what I have highlighted in red. Your t is the same as w. The upper limit isn't constant. It depends on the other two variables as given by the w in the red equation.

Ahhhhhh. Now I see... I think. How do I do to form an expression for w then? Or get its limit.

Smusko said:
Ahhhhhh. Now I see... I think. How do I do to form an expression for w then? Or get its limit.

Well, you have renamed the variable z to w to t. You needn't have changed it in the first place, but never mind that. So whether you call it z or w or t, it goes from 0 to whatever you get when you solve the red equation for w or the original equation for z, expressed in terms of your final variables. As usual in triple integrals, z goes from the bottom surface to the top surface if you integrate it first.

LCKurtz said:
Well, you have renamed the variable z to w to t. You needn't have changed it in the first place, but never mind that. So whether you call it z or w or t, it goes from 0 to whatever you get when you solve the red equation for w or the original equation for z, expressed in terms of your final variables. As usual in triple integrals, z goes from the bottom surface to the top surface if you integrate it first.

Of course. How stupid of me.

I think I have solved it now. I tried again with the new limit and failed, but then I noticed that I by mistake took the square of something that should not be squared. When I correct that mistake it should work out.

The source of error in these calculations are huge.

Thank you LCKurtz and coto for your help. :)

Related to Change of variable in triple integrals

1. What is a change of variable in triple integrals?

A change of variable in triple integrals refers to the process of replacing the original variables in a triple integral with new variables. This is done to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. Why is a change of variable useful in triple integrals?

A change of variable can be useful in triple integrals because it can help to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It can also help to transform the shape of the region being integrated, making it easier to visualize and calculate.

3. How do you choose the appropriate change of variable in triple integrals?

Choosing the appropriate change of variable in triple integrals depends on the specific problem at hand. Generally, you want to choose variables that will transform the region into a simpler shape, such as a rectangular prism. This often involves using trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.

4. What are the steps involved in a change of variable for triple integrals?

The steps involved in a change of variable for triple integrals are as follows:
1. Identify the original variables in the integral.
2. Choose new variables to replace the original ones.
3. Express the new variables in terms of the original ones.
4. Rewrite the integral using the new variables.
5. Calculate the limits of integration for the new variables.
6. Solve the integral using the new variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using a change of variable in triple integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a change of variable in triple integrals. The new variables must be continuous and have a one-to-one relationship with the original variables. Additionally, the transformation should not significantly alter the shape of the region being integrated, as this could lead to incorrect results.