Change in momentum problem. BASIC, IMPORTANT, but i don not know help?

In summary: This means that the change in momentum is the sum of the two velocities, so the correct answer here is D. In summary, the change in momentum is the sum of the final and initial velocities, giving a magnitude of 3.0 kg*m/s.
teggenspiller

Homework Statement

A 0.2 baseball if pitched with a velocity of 40 m/s and is then batted to the pitcher with a velocity of 60 m/s. What is the magnitude of change in the ball’s momentum?

A. 4 kg*m/s
B. 8 kg*m/s
C. 2 kg*m/s
D. 20 kg*m/s

Homework Equations

change in momentum = m(vf-vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

.2 (60-40) =4

4m/s, OR would it be 20, since .2*40=8 and .2*60=12
and add them together since they are in opposite dirctions, to get the TOTAL magnitude of change??

ANOTHER example:
A softball with a mass of 0.11 kg moves at a speed of 12 m/s. Then the ball is hit by a bat and rebounds in the opposite direction at a speed of 15 m/s. What is the change in momentum of the ball?

A. –1.3 kg*m/s
B. –1.6 kg*m/s
C. –0.33 kg*m/s
D. –3.0 kg*m/s

should i add the momenta, since different directions to get 3.0 (D) or subtract vf from vi to get C, .33

i know this seems like a dumb q that has probably an obvious answer, but little things like this could BREAK my grade in the test

Physics news on Phys.org
Change is always final minus initial, so you don't want to add the momenta. But where you're messing up is not taking into consideration the direction of the velocities. (As you seem to suspect.)

Hint: Since the initial and final velocities are in different directions, give them different signs. (Pick one direction to be positive, the other negative. I'd take the initial direction as positive, unless told otherwise.)

The final and initial velocities must have opposite signs because they are in opposite directions.

Related to Change in momentum problem. BASIC, IMPORTANT, but i don not know help?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is P = mv, where P is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the relationship between force and momentum?

Force is directly proportional to change in momentum. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum will be. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion, F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

4. How does momentum change in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that if one object in the system gains momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum in order to maintain the total momentum of the system.

5. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This conservation of momentum allows us to predict the outcomes of collisions.