Change in Kinetic energy / Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in kinetic energy and linear momentum of a truck traveling north at 35 km/h and then turning east and accelerating to 55 km/h. After converting the speeds to standard units and considering momentum as a vector, the correct solutions for parts b and c were obtained.
R.H.2010

Homework Statement

A 2800 kg truck traveling north at 35 km/h turns east and accelerates to 55 km/h.
What is the change in the truck's kinetic energy?
What is the magnitude of the change in the linear momentum of the truck?
What is the direction of the change in the linear momentum of the truck?

Homework Equations

I know the change in something is Final minus initial, and i have been using momentum=mass times velocity , Kinetic Energy = half mass times velosity's square, but I'm still not getting the right answer. Any suggestions please? Thank you.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've done so we can see where you went wrong.

Hints: Make sure you convert the speeds to standard units, like m/s. Also, remember that momentum is a vector; direction matters.

a) I finally got this part after paying attention to units.

b) (2800)X(550/36) - (2800)X(350/36)

reading your hints: what do you mean to deal with velocities as vectors in momentum equations?

c) I know I will have to use arctan, but it looks like I'm missing the vectors part that i will need to do c.

R.H.2010 said:
b) (2800)X(550/36) - (2800)X(350/36)

reading your hints: what do you mean to deal with velocities as vectors in momentum equations?
That equation is not valid since the initial and final momenta are in different directions. You have to use components and subtract the momenta as vectors, not just numbers.

c) I know I will have to use arctan, but it looks like i'm missing the vectors part that i will need to do c.
Exactly. You need the vector stuff to do parts b and c.

Do this. Call east the +x axis and north the +y axis. Now find the x & y components of the initial and final momenta. Then you can subtract them as vectors and find the magnitude and direction of the change in momentum.

It worked. Thank you very much.

Related to Change in Kinetic energy / Momentum

1. How is kinetic energy/momentum related to an object's speed?

Kinetic energy and momentum are both directly proportional to an object's speed. This means that as an object's speed increases, its kinetic energy and momentum also increase.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its kinetic energy/momentum?

The mass of an object affects its kinetic energy and momentum in a direct relationship. This means that as an object's mass increases, its kinetic energy and momentum also increase.

3. What is the equation for calculating the change in kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating the change in kinetic energy is ΔKE = 1/2 * m * (v2f - v2i), where m is the mass of the object, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity.

4. How is momentum conserved during a collision?

Momentum is conserved during a collision because the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the initial momentum of the objects involved in the collision is equal to the final momentum.

5. How does friction affect the change in kinetic energy/momentum?

Friction can decrease the change in kinetic energy/momentum by dissipating some of the energy or momentum through heat or sound. This means that in real-world scenarios, the change in kinetic energy/momentum may be less than what is calculated using idealized equations.