Change In Gravitational Energy Percent Error

In summary: So because she chose to keep gravity as g=9.8 in her answer it affected her numbers. She said that subbing in g= GM/R^2 is a better way to do the problem.Now it's clear. Thanks.Now it's clear. Thanks.
Plutonium88

Homework Statement

There are two equations from which change in gravitaton potential energy of a system can be calculated.

ΔEg = mgh and the other Eg = GmM/R

The first equation is only correct if the gravitational force is constant over a change in height h. The second is always correct. Consider the change in Eg of the mass m when it is moved away from the Earth's surface to a height h using both equations, and find the value of h for which the equation ΔEg=mgh is in error by 1%. Express this value of h as a fraction of the Earth's radius and obtain the numerical value.

m = mass of object M = mass of Earth Re = 6.38x10^6meters

Homework Equations

ΔEg1= -GmM/(Re+h) + GmM/Re
ΔEg1= GmMh/(Re*(Re+h))
ΔEg2= mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

So
Fg = GmM/(Re+h)^2
mg = GmM/(Re+h)^2
g = GM/(Re+h)^2

ΔEg2 = mGMH/(Re+h)^2

So i have to find the the relationship between these equations

so i say

I)ΔEg1/ΔEg2 = 100/101

II)ΔEg1/ΔEg2 = 100/99

where 100 represents the one which does not have the fraction of error percent and 101 and 99 represent the one with the fraction of error percent

I)
When i solve I my answer is

h = -Re/101
h= -63168.32
which yields a negative number so this is not the answer.

II) When i solve for this
h = Re/99
h= 64444.44 m

When i double check these answers with my teacher she doesn't seem to have the same numbers so I'm just curious what I'm doing wrong?

I know there are 2 other cases i didn't check

III)ΔEg1/ΔEg2 = 99/100

IV)ΔEg1/ΔEg2 = 101/100

where III) yields h = Re/100
h= 63800

IV) h = -Re/100
h = -63800

But i know III) and IV) are not the case because that would mean that Eg = -GmM/Re is the equation off by a fraction of a percent.

Anyways any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is confusing (g depends on h and you have to different formulas for ΔEg2, for example), but the answer looks reasonable. If you fix g to the gravitational acceleration at zero height, the value could be a bit different, that might be the source of the deviation to the teacher's answer.

mfb said:
Your notation is confusing (g depends on h and you have to different formulas for ΔEg2, for example), but the answer looks reasonable. If you fix g to the gravitational acceleration at zero height, the value could be a bit different, that might be the source of the deviation to the teacher's answer.

Ah i took g=GM/(Re + H)^2 where its g=GM/Re^2 is this my error?

and sorry about my confusing notation can you tell me what is making it confusing and how to make it better?

g=GM/Re^2, right.

and sorry about my confusing notation can you tell me what is making it confusing and how to make it better?
Introduce things like those energies in words, together with the formulas.

Ah I Had a friend show me how to use microsoft word so in the future i will be able to create more visually appealing equations. I would really appreciate so more input because if I consider g=GM/Re^2. Then I get h = +/- 63800 or 1/100Re

My teacher tells me she has decimals in the number for her answer and this number does not

Last edited:
My teacher tells me she has decimals in the number for her answer and this number does not
How are decimals relevant?
63.8km. There are decimals.
63800.000m. Great, more insignificant digits.

A agree with your result of 1/100 Re. Quite interesting, the relative error is just the same as the fraction of the radius of earth.

What I am taking from her is that her answer is not an exact whole number that is what I mean by decimals

Plutonium88 said:
What I am taking from her is that her answer is not an exact whole number that is what I mean by decimals
If you take the radius of the Earth as being a terminating decimal, in whatever units, then 1% of that will also be a terminating decimal. So whether it's a whole number will simply depend on the choice of units. Given 6380 km as the radius, h is 63.8km or 63800 m.

Okay I have cleared up my issue with the teacher. Thank you very much for your help. If you are are interested we just had a difference in which g's we had used. She had used 9.8 where this solution replaced g with GM/R^2 which ends up yielding a greater altitude due to the fact GM/R^2<g

Last edited:
Plutonium88 said:
Okay I have cleared up my issue with the teacher. Thank you very much for your help. If you are are interested we just had a difference in which g's we had used. She had used 9.8 where this solution replaced g with GM/R^2 which ends up yielding a greater altitude due to the fact GM/R^2<g
That's a strange explanation. The algebra produces the result that an error of x% will arise at a height of x% of Re. That does not depend on what values you use for constants. A different numerical answer should only occur if a different value is taken for Re. Did the teacher compute Re from g, G and Me?

haruspex said:
That's a strange explanation. The algebra produces the result that an error of x% will arise at a height of x% of Re. That does not depend on what values you use for constants. A different numerical answer should only occur if a different value is taken for Re. Did the teacher compute Re from g, G and Me?

I'm sorry for the tardy reply, perhaps the way i explained what i said doesn't make sense

So the reason her number is different than mine is because she didn't replace g with GMe/Re^2

so (mgh)/(GmMh/Re(Re+H)) = 101 / 100

So h = (101*G*M)/(100*g*Re) - Re = 63200.37

So because she chose to keep gravity as g=9.8 in her answer it affected her numbers. She said that subbing in g= GM/R^2 is a better way to do the problem.

Related to Change In Gravitational Energy Percent Error

What is gravitational energy?

Gravitational energy is the potential energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is dependent on the mass and distance of the object from the source of the gravitational field.

What causes a change in gravitational energy?

A change in gravitational energy occurs when there is a change in the position or distance of an object within a gravitational field. This can be due to the object's motion, the motion of the source of the gravitational field, or changes in the mass of either the object or the source.

What is percent error in relation to gravitational energy?

Percent error is a measure of the accuracy of a calculation or measurement. In the context of gravitational energy, it refers to the difference between the actual change in gravitational energy and the predicted or expected change, expressed as a percentage of the predicted change.

How is percent error calculated for changes in gravitational energy?

Percent error for changes in gravitational energy is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the actual change and predicted change, dividing it by the predicted change, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

What factors can contribute to a high percent error in changes in gravitational energy?

There are several factors that can contribute to a high percent error in changes in gravitational energy. These include inaccurate measurements or calculations, errors in the assumptions made about the gravitational field, and external factors such as air resistance or friction that may affect the object's motion within the field.