Change in energy of a capacitor

In summary, a 2.1 aF capacitor with a net charge of 0.5e is considered, where e is a positive charge of 1.6 x 10-19 coulomb. Adding a charge of -e results in a final charge of -0.5e. The energy needed to add one electron to the capacitor is found to be 0, but this does not seem to make sense. Upon further investigation, it is discovered that this non-integer charge may be due to polarization of the metal piece by an electric field. The voltage on the capacitor before and after adding the charge e is then considered to determine the difference in energy.
HunterDX77M

Homework Statement

A 2.1 aF capacitor has a net charge of 0.5e (a positive charge, the symbol e is taken as a positive number 1.6 x 10-19 coulomb). What is the energy needed to add one electron (charge -e) to this capacitor?

Homework Equations

Energy in a Capacitor:
[itex]U = Q^2 \div 2C[/itex]

Where U is the energy, Q is the charge and C is the capacitance

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial charge is +0.5e and after adding a charge of -e, the final charge would be -0.5e.
To find the energy needed:
[itex]\Delta U = U_f - U_i \\
= \frac{(Q_f)^2 - (Q_i)^2}{2C} \\
= \frac{(-0.5e)^2 - (0.5e)^2}{2C}
= 0[/itex]

Squaring the initial and final charge results in positive e/4 and subtracting these values of equal magnitude gives 0. But having 0 energy change doesn't make sense to me. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
HunterDX77M said:
A 2.1 aF capacitor has a net charge of 0.5e (a positive charge, the symbol e is taken as a positive number 1.6 x 10-19 coulomb).
So on its plates this capacitor is storing a charge difference of half an electron?

NascentOxygen said:
So on its plates this capacitor is storing a charge difference of half an electron?

This is indeed the problem as my Professor wrote it.

After asking him about it, my Professor responded:

"The non integer charge can come from polarization of the metal piece by an electric field, that slightly moves the position of many charges."

If that helps.

What is the voltage on the capacitor before and after adding the charge e? What then is the difference in energy?

Related to Change in energy of a capacitor

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material.

2. How does a capacitor store energy?

A capacitor stores energy by accumulating opposite charges on its two plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other plate becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy.

3. What causes the change in energy of a capacitor?

The change in energy of a capacitor is caused by the change in voltage or charge on the capacitor. When the voltage or charge increases, the energy stored in the capacitor also increases. Similarly, when the voltage or charge decreases, the energy stored in the capacitor decreases.

4. How is the energy of a capacitor calculated?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 CV2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts.

5. How does the energy of a capacitor affect its performance?

The energy stored in a capacitor affects its performance by determining how much charge it can hold and how quickly it can discharge. A capacitor with a higher energy storage capacity will be able to hold more charge and release it more quickly, making it more efficient in electronic circuits.