Change coupling in a system with three angular momentum

In summary: Bmatrix} j_2 & j_1 & j_{3} \\ j_{12} & J & j_{23}\end{Bmatrix}|j_2j_1(j_3)j_{12}:JM>Finally, you can use the fact that the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are also symmetric under the exchange of j_{12} and j_{23}. This means that the coefficients for j_{12} and j_{23} can be interchanged without changing the result. Using this, you can rewrite the formula as:In summary, the inverse transformation from |j_1j_2(j_{12})j
d4n1el
Hi!
I'm doing some QM calculations and I'm coupling three spins j_1,j_2,j_3
If they are coupled in ls-coupling I can use the transformation
[tex]|j_1j_2j_3(j_{23}):JM>=\\
\sum
(-1)^{j_1+j_2+j_3+j}\sqrt{2j_{12}+1}\sqrt{2j_{23}+1}
\begin{Bmatrix}
j_1 & j_2 & j_{12} \\
j_{3} & J & j_{23}
\end{Bmatrix}|j_1j_2(j_{12})j_3:JM>
[/tex]

This is a quite standard transformation. I have founded it in a couple of places. For example in "The nuclear shell modell" of Heyde.

But now I'm more interested in the inverse transformation, go from [tex]|j_1j_2(j_{12})j_3:JM>[/tex] to [tex]|j_1j_2j_3(j_{23}):JM>[/tex]

Do you now any clever ways or identities that can be usefull. Or do I need to calculate it from scratch?

ps. sorry but i can't fix the sum-sign. It should be a summation over [tex]j_{12}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
and j_{23}.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. The inverse transformation from |j_1j_2(j_{12})j_3:JM> to |j_1j_2j_3(j_{23}):JM> can be derived using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. These coefficients are used to couple angular momenta in quantum mechanics and can be found in many textbooks, including the one you mentioned by Heyde.

To derive the inverse transformation, you can use the following formula:

|j_1j_2j_3(j_{23}):JM>=\\
\sum
\begin{Bmatrix}
j_1 & j_2 & j_{12} \\
j_{3} & J & j_{23}
\end{Bmatrix}|j_1j_2(j_{12})j_3:JM>

First, you need to use the fact that the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are symmetric under the exchange of the two spins j_1 and j_2. This means that the coefficients for j_1 and j_2 can be interchanged without changing the result. Using this, you can rewrite the formula as:

\sum
\begin{Bmatrix}
j_2 & j_1 & j_{12} \\
j_{3} & J & j_{23}
\end{Bmatrix}|j_2j_1(j_{12})j_3:JM>

Next, you can use the fact that the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are also symmetric under the exchange of j_3 and j_{12}. This means that the coefficients for j_3 and j_{12} can be interchanged without changing the result. Using this, you can rewrite the formula as:

\sum
(-1)^{j_1+j_2+j_3+j}\sqrt{2j_{12}+

Related to Change coupling in a system with three angular momentum

1. What is change coupling in a system with three angular momentum?

Change coupling in a system with three angular momentum refers to the process of combining the individual angular momenta of three particles or objects to produce a single, overall angular momentum for the system. This is important in understanding the dynamics and behavior of complex systems, such as molecules or atoms.

2. How is change coupling calculated in a system with three angular momentum?

The calculation of change coupling in a system with three angular momentum involves using mathematical equations and principles, such as the vector addition of angular momenta and the conservation of angular momentum. These calculations can be complex and require a thorough understanding of the system and its components.

3. What are the factors that affect change coupling in a system with three angular momentum?

The main factors that affect change coupling in a system with three angular momentum are the individual angular momenta of the particles or objects, the orientation of these angular momenta relative to each other, and the interactions between the particles or objects. These factors can change the overall angular momentum of the system and affect its behavior.

4. How does change coupling impact the stability of a system with three angular momentum?

Change coupling can greatly impact the stability of a system with three angular momentum. If the individual angular momenta are well-coupled, meaning they are aligned and interact with each other in a coordinated manner, the system can be more stable. However, if there is poor coupling, the system may be more prone to disruptions or changes in behavior.

5. What are some real-life examples of systems with three angular momentum and change coupling?

One common example of a system with three angular momentum and change coupling is a diatomic molecule, such as carbon monoxide. The individual angular momenta of the carbon and oxygen atoms combine to produce an overall angular momentum for the molecule. Another example is a spinning top, where the rotation of the top and the precession of its axis combine to create a single angular momentum for the system.