Two questions on Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

In summary, the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are zero unless the total angular momentum satisfies |j_1-j_2|\leq j \leq j_1+j_2. This can be proven using the equation for the total angular momentum operator. The matrix of the CG coefficients is a unitary matrix U that carries the transformation from the basis labeled by m1,m2 to the one labeled by j,m_j.
Yoran91
Hello everyone,

I'm reading a bit about Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and I found two things in their general description I didn't quite understand. Can anyone help me with these questions?

First, I read that the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are zero unless the total angular momentum satisfies [itex]|j_1-j_2|\leq j \leq j_1+j_2[/itex]. How would you prove this?

Second, and this is a bit more difficult, I know the CG coefficients are elements of a change of basis matrix, which relates the two bases
1. [itex]|j_1 m_1 \rangle \otimes |j_2 m_2 \rangle[/itex]
2. [itex]|j_1j_2jm \rangle[/itex].

I also know that with respect to the basis 1., the total angular momentum operator [itex]J_i[/itex] is represented by the matrix [itex]J_{1i} \otimes \mathbb{1} + \mathbb{1} \otimes J_{2i}[/itex]. Now I wish to know how this matrix looks with respect to the other basis, perhaps using the change of basis matrix.

I know this is the 'tensor product decomposition' rule, but I don't fully understand what's going on. How does that matrix look in the other basis?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Yoran91 said:
Hello everyone,

I'm reading a bit about Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and I found two things in their general description I didn't quite understand. Can anyone help me with these questions?

First, I read that the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are zero unless the total angular momentum satisfies [itex]|j_1-j_2|\leq j \leq j_1+j_2[/itex]. How would you prove this?

From the formula you quote below, we have [itex]J_z = J_{1z} \otimes \mathbb{1} + \mathbb{1} \otimes J_{2z}[/itex]. If we act on the state [itex]|j_1 m_1 \rangle \otimes |j_2 m_2 \rangle[/itex], we find the eigenvalue [itex]m_1+m_2[/itex]. Therefore the allowed linear combinations of spins must have [itex]m=m_1+m_2[/itex]. Now, recall that the allowed values of [itex]m_1 = -j_1,\ldots, j_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2 = -j_2,\ldots, j_2[/itex]. These imply that [itex]m[/itex] can only take values [itex]-(j_1+j_2), \ldots, j_1 - j_2, \ldots, j_1+j_2[/itex].

We could proceed from here by making a list of states and then assigning them to particular [itex]j[/itex] multiplets. I won't do this explicitly, but it might help you to go over the procedure explicitly for some specific example. Recall that a state with [itex]m=j[/itex], which is [itex]|j,j\rangle[/itex], is called the highest weight state. In terms of the ladder operator basis, the raising operator [itex]J_+ |j,j\rangle=0[/itex], while acting with lowering operator [itex]J_-[/itex] gives the state [itex]|j,j-1\rangle[/itex]. Obviously the state with the largest value of [itex]m[/itex], which is [itex]j_1+j_2[/itex], is a highest weight state of the multiplet with [itex]j=j_1+j_2[/itex]. We can use the lowering operator on this state to determine the rest of the states in the multiplet. Now, we pull these out of the list and find the next largest value of [itex]m[/itex] in the states remaining. This is the highest weight state for the multiplet with [itex]j=j_1+j_2-1[/itex]. We can continue the process until we've exhausted all of the possibilities after enumerating the [itex]j = |j_1-j_2|[/itex] states.

There are various ways to give the same argument, but this one seems rather straightforward, especially when worked out in a specific example.

Second, and this is a bit more difficult, I know the CG coefficients are elements of a change of basis matrix, which relates the two bases
1. [itex]|j_1 m_1 \rangle \otimes |j_2 m_2 \rangle[/itex]
2. [itex]|j_1j_2jm \rangle[/itex].

I also know that with respect to the basis 1., the total angular momentum operator [itex]J_i[/itex] is represented by the matrix [itex]J_{1i} \otimes \mathbb{1} + \mathbb{1} \otimes J_{2i}[/itex]. Now I wish to know how this matrix looks with respect to the other basis, perhaps using the change of basis matrix.

I know this is the 'tensor product decomposition' rule, but I don't fully understand what's going on. How does that matrix look in the other basis?

Thanks in advance

You could indeed use the CG coefficients to perform a change of basis. But the total angular momentum operator [itex]J_i[/itex] has the standard action on the [itex]|j,m\rangle[/itex] states:

[tex] J_z |j,m\rangle = m |j,m\rangle,[/tex]
[tex] J_\pm |j,m\rangle = \sqrt{ j(j+1) - m(m\pm1)} |j,m\pm 1\rangle.[/tex]

In fact, you will always use these expressions any time that you want to work out explicit expressions for the CG coefficients.

Maybe again to your second question: The matrix of the CG coefficients is a unitary matrix U carrying the transformation from the basis labeled by m1,m2 to the one labeled by j,m_j.
So your J_i transforms like ##UJ_i U^+##.
The transformed matrix can be written down directly using the formulas fzero provided.

Ah of course, thanks! I completely forgot about the equations for [itex]J_i[/itex] in terms of the total angular momentum states.

One last question: I now see that we would have, for a given allowed [itex]j[/itex]:
[itex]J_{x}^{(j)} | j_1 j_2 j m \rangle = \frac{\hbar}{2} \sqrt{j(j+1)-m(m+1)} |j_1 j_2 j (m+1) \rangle + \frac{\hbar}{2} \sqrt{j(j+1)-m(m-1)}|j_1 j_2 j (m-1) \rangle[/itex]

and a similar equation for [itex]J_{y}^{(j)}[/itex].

What, then, is the matrix representing [itex]J_i[/itex]? I think it is the direct sum, i.e.
[itex]J_i= J_{i}^{j_1+j_2} \oplus J_{i}^{j_1+j_2-1}\oplus ... \oplus J_{i}^{|j_1-j_2|}[/itex],

but I'm not really sure how you would prove this

EDIT: nevermind, I understand now. Thank you !

Last edited:

Related to Two questions on Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

1. What are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical values used to describe the relationship between two angular momenta in quantum mechanics. They are used to combine two angular momenta into a total angular momentum, and are an essential tool in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What is the significance of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are important because they provide a way to mathematically describe the behavior of particles with multiple angular momenta. This is crucial in understanding the properties and interactions of particles at the quantum level, and has applications in fields such as atomic and nuclear physics, spectroscopy, and quantum computing.

3. How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients calculated?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are calculated using the Clebsch-Gordan formula, which involves the use of the Wigner 3-j symbol and the Kronecker delta. This formula takes into account the quantum numbers and states of the particles involved, and produces a numerical value for the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient.

4. What is the physical interpretation of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

The physical interpretation of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients is that they represent the probability amplitude for a particle to have a certain total angular momentum given its individual angular momenta. This means that they provide information about the possible states and behavior of particles with multiple angular momenta.

5. How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients used in quantum mechanics?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. They are used in calculations involving the total angular momentum of a system, such as in the addition of angular momenta, and in the prediction of the possible states and behaviors of particles with multiple angular momenta.