Change 24v to 12v DC: Simple Way

• Thread starter sst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    12v Dc
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for converting a 24V circuit to a 12V circuit in order to charge a computer battery through a 24V cigarette lighter receptacle. The two main suggestions are using a 24V to 12V converter or using a resistor and zener diode configuration. Other suggestions include using a voltage regulator or a voltage divider with a transistor. It is important to consider the details of the device being powered and to select the appropriate method for conversion.
sst
what is the simple way to change 24volt circuit to 12volt circuit. i have to plug a converter into a 24volt cigarette lighter to charge battery for computer. the converter only takes 12volts input and will not work with the 24volts the system has for the lighter receptical. so i have to electrically cange the voltage to the cigarette lighter to 12volts.

Engineering news on Phys.org
that may be the way i have to go...i was trying to do it without a conveter and do it through resistors in the wiring

sst said:
that may be the way i have to go...i was trying to do it without a conveter and do it through resistors in the wiring

? resistors won't lower your voltage, they lower current.

tc_kid said:
? resistors won't lower your voltage, they lower current.

They also lower voltage. Can you honestly tell me that inserting a resistor in series with a load will not decrease the voltage at the load? It will. But, it will not regulate the voltage. As the load changes, the voltage will fluctate with it. It's a pretty easy experiment to do with a small power supply or battery and a couple of reisistors.

If the output of your cigarette accessory jack is 24Vdc and you want 12V for your converter, you could use a voltage regulator (such as an http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM350.html ). This regulator will supply up to 3A. Check the 'current rating' on your converter to make sure this regulator will supply what it needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
really? not according to the formula V=ir... although through energy loss i can see how but that doesn't seem like a very good way to do it.

why are there 2 of this thread?

tc_kid said:
really? not according to the formula V=ir... although through energy loss i can see how but that doesn't seem like a very good way to do it.

Yes really. Exactly by v=ir.
Since voltages sum then V_load = V_battery - V_ir

It's a good simple way to do it if the load presents a constant impedance or if the load isn't fussy about the voltage as when all you are concerned about is limiting the max current in a load.

Efficiency, regulation or allowable heat dissipation requirements in your design may require more active solutions.

sst said:

You would have to know the details of the device you want to power.

It may be possible (or may not), but you would need the details just to select the proper resistor. For some designs you may not need a resistor and it will work just as well on 24v as 12v.

A guess most likely will destroy and possibly set your unit on fire.

tc_kid said:

v=ir
do a voltage divider. eg: if you use a pot then the wiper voltage changes if you put one end to voltage and other to gnd
but resistors are not the way to go since heat dissipation, r changes with heat/time
just use a 12v linear regulator you should get 12v from 24v

thanks , i will try that

there are two threads because i problably messed up putting the thread in.

tc_kid said:
why are there 2 of this thread?

Threads merged.

How about a resistor / zener diode configuration?

If you don't want to use a regulator -
Try a Resistor + zener as smn mentioned. Add a transistor at the output.
Or
Voltage divider Plus transistor(CE buffer) at the output. The voltage divider should give an output of 12.6V, so transistor output at emitter will be 12V.
Connect the 24V to the collector of the transistor.

yup resistor and 12V zener should work. use a resistor value that will give the load current you want. put it in series with zener's cathode, and anode to gnd. Your zener should regulate 12v

Related to Change 24v to 12v DC: Simple Way

What is the difference between 24v and 12v DC?

The difference between 24v and 12v DC lies in their voltage levels. 24v DC has a higher voltage level compared to 12v DC, which means it can provide more power to devices that require higher voltage for operation.

Why would I need to change 24v to 12v DC?

There are several reasons why one might need to change 24v to 12v DC. Some devices or equipment may only be compatible with 12v DC, or you may need to step down the voltage for safety reasons. Additionally, you may want to conserve energy by using a lower voltage level.

What is the simplest way to change 24v to 12v DC?

The simplest way to change 24v to 12v DC is by using a voltage regulator or a step-down converter. These devices can easily convert the voltage level while providing a stable output of 12v DC.

Are there any risks involved in changing 24v to 12v DC?

There are some risks involved in changing the voltage level. If not done correctly, it can cause damage to your devices or equipment. It is important to use the appropriate equipment and follow proper safety precautions to avoid any potential risks.

Can I change 24v to 12v DC on my own?

Yes, you can change 24v to 12v DC on your own if you have the proper knowledge and equipment. However, it is recommended to seek professional help or guidance to ensure the conversion is done correctly and safely.