Double interleaved dc-dc boost converter power management

In summary, the conversation discusses a DC-DC Boost converter designed to step up voltage and questions whether the input power can be pulsed width modulated and if the output can be locked at 28.8 volts regardless of input voltage. It is suggested to use a lower rated power resistor or a 28V heater as a load for testing and to use closed loop control for more accurate results.
micktosin
Hi there, (Please find attached diagram)
I have Dc-dc Boost converter designed to step up (12-24Volts) to 28.8Volts(10Amps). The converter is currently working perfectly(stepping up 24V-28.8voltage) with a dc power supply, however this Dc converter after completion, will be fed up to a max input power of 2400Watt(24V&100Amps) from a Dc generator. My question is, can the input power be pulsed width modulated from 2.4KW to 288Watt(28.8Volts &10Amps), by just reducing the duty cycle to the switching transistors? Because otherwise, i might be forced to buy a 2.4Kw rated load resistor, of which I'll rather not.

Second question; Is there a way i can locked the output to 28.8Volts regardless of the input Voltage(12-24Volts). Because currently i am using a 555 timer as my pwm, and just like other Chip they can't take high input feedback available from the output of the converter.

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S0924424711002743-gr5.jpg
    1-s2.0-S0924424711002743-gr5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 772
Engineering news on Phys.org
In General the basic boost has a rigid Vin/Vout = Duty Cycle - so the power is not controlled by this circuit. The power will be regulated by the capacity of the supply ( generator) and demand from the load. Of course all of the components have to be able to handle the 100A, or 50A Average for the configuration you have shown.

As for a test - remember that resistors are within reason limited by heat, so a lower rated power resistor ( less than 2400W) can be used for a short time - but also some 28V heaters may make a good / cheap load, or some nichrome wire in water etc. ( at 28V water should be OK but there are number of ways to build a load)

As for the 555 controller - with the variable input, the duty cycle will need to be adjusted, so you will need a little more advanced control. -- This could technically be done open loop by always assuming the output is 28.8, measuring the input voltage an adjusting the duty cycle - e.g. Vin/28.8= DS - but if you are planning to connect anything important, I would use the output as a sense point and use closed loop control. I am thinking this can all be done with a voltage divider and the single 555.

Related to Double interleaved dc-dc boost converter power management

1. What is a double interleaved dc-dc boost converter?

A double interleaved dc-dc boost converter is a power management circuit that uses two interleaved switching converters to boost the input voltage to a higher output voltage. This allows for higher efficiency and reduced ripple in the output voltage compared to a single interleaved converter.

2. How does a double interleaved dc-dc boost converter work?

The input voltage is first converted to an intermediate voltage through a first interleaved converter. This intermediate voltage is then fed into a second interleaved converter that further boosts the voltage to the desired output level. The two converters work together to reduce ripple and improve efficiency.

3. What are the advantages of using a double interleaved dc-dc boost converter?

The use of two interleaved converters allows for higher efficiency, reduced ripple, and improved load regulation compared to a single interleaved converter. It also allows for a wider input voltage range and lower output voltage ripple. Additionally, it can handle higher output power levels than a single converter.

4. What are the typical applications of a double interleaved dc-dc boost converter?

Double interleaved dc-dc boost converters are commonly used in power supplies for high-power applications such as electric vehicles, solar inverters, and battery charging systems. They are also used in telecommunications, industrial, and medical equipment.

5. What are the challenges in designing a double interleaved dc-dc boost converter?

Designing a double interleaved dc-dc boost converter can be complex as it requires precise synchronization and control of the two interleaved converters. The design must also consider factors such as component selection, efficiency, and thermal management to ensure reliable operation. Additionally, the converter must be carefully tested and optimized to achieve the desired performance.