Chances of picking a basketball team

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of selecting a complete basketball team from a pool of 3-person teams. The correct calculation is (3/3)*(2/3)*(1/3)=2/9, as each team member must be chosen separately. The incorrect calculation of (3/3)+(2/3)+(1/3)=2/3 results in a higher probability and is not a correct interpretation of the task.
torquerotates

Homework Statement

A 3 person basketball team consists of a guard, a forward and a center. If a person is chosen randomly from each of 3 different such teams, what is the probability of selecting a complete team?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well my reasoning is that for the guard on the team, I have to pick from one of the teams. So looking at one of the teams, i can pick out of 3 to be the guard. Then i have to look at the next team of which i can only pick out of 2 to be the forward and finally the last team only offers me one choice. So its (3+2+1)/9=2/3

but the answer in the back of the book gives 2/9. something's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh badness. You have added when you should have multiplied. That should be
(3/3)*(2/3)*(1/3)=2/9
not
(3/3)+(2/3)+(1/3)=2/3

You haven't even just added. Your reasoning is completely correct. 3 choices from the first team, 2 from the second and 1 from the last. That's 3*2*1 choices that give you a complete team. How many possible choices of three regardless of whether they form a team?

How many possible choices of three regardless of whether they form a team?

well it would be, going by your reasoning, 3*3*3=9

But I still don't understand why you multiply instead of add.

3*3*3=27. Come on.

Related to Chances of picking a basketball team

1. What factors should I consider when picking a basketball team?

When picking a basketball team, you should consider factors such as player skill level, team chemistry, and overall team strategy. It is important to have a mix of players with different strengths and to ensure that they work well together as a team.

2. How do I increase my chances of picking a winning basketball team?

To increase your chances of picking a winning basketball team, you should research players and teams, analyze their performance statistics, and consider their past successes. It is also important to factor in any injuries or potential game-changing players.

3. Is it better to have a team with all-star players or a well-rounded team?

This depends on your team's overall strategy and goals. All-star players may bring individual talent, but a well-rounded team with good chemistry can often be more successful. It is important to have a balance of both in order to create a winning team.

4. How do I evaluate a player's potential for future success?

When evaluating a player's potential for future success, you should look at their current skill level, physical abilities, and mental toughness. You should also consider their work ethic, coachability, and how well they fit into your team's strategy.

5. Are there any strategies for picking a successful basketball team?

Some strategies for picking a successful basketball team include having a clear team vision and goals, conducting thorough research and analysis, and considering both individual player skills and team chemistry. It is also important to have a good mix of experienced and young players, as well as a strong coaching staff.