Challenges in Proving Continuity: Three Problems to Tackle

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, for the given statements, it is required to prove that f equals 0 at some point C in the real numbers, that the equation f(x)=x has only one solution on the interval [a,b], and that there exists a number m>0 such that for every x in [0,1], f(x)+m<g(x). To prove the first statement, it is necessary to use the Intermediate Value Theorem and show that either L> 0> L' or L'> 0> L. For the second statement, it is necessary to use the definition of a limit and show that for every (x,x') in ([a,b])^2 and x≠x, |f(x)-
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

1- Let f be a continuous function for all real numbers such that :

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow+\infty}f(x)=L[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow-\infty}f(x)=L'[/tex]

and that LL'≤0. Prove that f equals 0 at some point C in ℝ.

2- Let f be a continuous function on [a,b] such that for every (x,x') in ([a,b])^2 and x≠x:

[tex]|f(x)-f(x')|<k|x-x'|[/tex] .Prove that the equation f(x)=x has only one solution on [a,b].

3-Let f and g be continuous functions on [0,1] such that for every x in [0,1]: f(x)<g(x).

Prove that there exists a number m>0 such that for every x in [0,1]: f(x)+m<g(x).

The Attempt at a Solution

1- I know that since LL'<0 so that means that L>L' or L<L' . So the Intermediate value theorem states that there exists a number c such that f(c)=0, but i know how I'm going to show that.

2-I think I am supposed to use the definition of a limit to solve it but i don't know where to start.

3- I have no idea how to start this one. Any help would be very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

1- Let f be a continuous function for all real numbers such that :

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow+\infty}f(x)=L[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow-\infty}f(x)=L'[/tex]

and that LL'≤0. Prove that f equals 0 at some point C in ℝ.

2- Let f be a continuous function on [a,b] such that for every (x,x') in ([a,b])^2 and x≠x:

[tex]|f(x)-f(x')|<k|x-x'|[/tex] .Prove that the equation f(x)=x has only one solution on [a,b].

3-Let f and g be continuous functions on [0,1] such that for every x in [0,1]: f(x)<g(x).

Prove that there exists a number m>0 such that for every x in [0,1]: f(x)+m<g(x).

The Attempt at a Solution

1- I know that since LL'<0 so that means that L>L' or L<L' .
That is only saying "L is not equal to L'" which says nothing about their relation to 0. What you meant to say, I believe, was "either L> 0> L' or L'> 0> L".

So the Intermediate value theorem states that there exists a number c such that f(c)=0, but i know how I'm going to show that.
IF the intermediate theorem states that, then that would "show" it. But it doesn't. The intermediate value theorem says that if f(a)> 0 and f(b)< 0 there exist x between a and b such that f(x)= 0. What you are given are limits, not values of the function at specific points.

What you can say is that, because [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty} f(x)= L[/itex], if L> 0, there exist [itex]x_0[/itex] such that if [itex]x> x_0[/itex] then f(x)> L-1. Do the same with L' and x going to negative infinity.

2-I think I am supposed to use the definition of a limit to solve it but i don't know where to start.

3- I have no idea how to start this one. Any help would be very appreciated.
Take a guess and give it a try. See what you learn from trying.

HallsofIvy said:
That is only saying "L is not equal to L'" which says nothing about their relation to 0. What you meant to say, I believe, was "either L> 0> L' or L'> 0> L".

IF the intermediate theorem states that, then that would "show" it. But it doesn't. The intermediate value theorem says that if f(a)> 0 and f(b)< 0 there exist x between a and b such that f(x)= 0. What you are given are limits, not values of the function at specific points.

What you can say is that, because [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty} f(x)= L[/itex], if L> 0, there exist [itex]x_0[/itex] such that if [itex]x> x_0[/itex] then f(x)> L-1. Do the same with L' and x going to negative infinity.

Take a guess and give it a try. See what you learn from trying.

Ok for the negative infinity i can say that if L<0 then there exists x1 such that x>x1 then
f(x)>L-1. Right?

Okay for number 3 I did a proof by contradiction and I got:

Let h(x)=f(x)-g(x) and we know that since g(x)>f(x) then h(x)=f(x)-g(x)<0. Now we have to prove that h(x)<0 for all x in [0.1]. Suppose that there is a point C in [0,1] such that f(c)>g(c) implying that h(c)=f(c)-g(c)>0 and that's a contradiction because h(x)<0 for every x in [0,1]. But does this imply that f(x)+m<g(x) for every x in [0,1].

Last edited:
For 3 use the fact that every continuous function attains both maximum and minimum values on a closed and bounded interval.

For number 2 i said that let g(x)=f(x)-x be a continuous function on the interval I=[a,b] as a difference of 2 continuous equations. and for every x in I f(x) is also in I.

And f(I)=[m,M] so therefore f(a) is in I and f(b) is in I.

That implies that m≤f(a)≤M and m≤f(b)≤M and that implies that f(a)-m≥0 and f(b)-M≤0 and that implies that f(a)*f(b)≤0.

Hence the IVT states that there exists an x in I such that f(x)=x . But i think that i have to show that f is monotone increasing or monotone decreasing for this proof to hold. Am I correct??

Related to Challenges in Proving Continuity: Three Problems to Tackle

What is continuity?

Continuity is a property of a function where the function has no sudden breaks or jumps. In other words, the function is smooth and connected throughout its domain.

What are the three problems on continuity?

The three problems on continuity are:

1. Finding the continuity of a function at a point
  2. Finding the continuity of a function on an interval
  3. Finding the continuity of a composite function

How do you determine the continuity of a function at a point?

To determine the continuity of a function at a point, you need to check three conditions:

• The function exists at the point
  • The limit of the function at the point exists
  • The value of the function at the point is equal to the limit

How do you determine the continuity of a function on an interval?

To determine the continuity of a function on an interval, you need to check the continuity of the function at each point within the interval. If the function is continuous at each point, then it is continuous on the entire interval.

How do you determine the continuity of a composite function?

To determine the continuity of a composite function, you need to check the continuity of each individual function and their composition. If both functions are continuous, then the composite function is also continuous.