Challenges in Linux Administration?

In summary, the intern learned about basic tasks in Linux Administration including maintaining the network connections, filesystems, and software updates. He also plans to learn more about scripting in the future.
shivajikobardan
TL;DR Summary
learning linux to next level.
As you all know I got a job as a Linux Administrator Intern few months ago. I've finished Imran Afzal's course on udemy a month ago, which was 35.5 hrs long. I'm comfortable with Linux by now. But I feel I could do better. That's why I picked up a RHCSA course that I got for 15$ from reputed online site. Now, I want challenging problems of Linux like in programming there is leetcode, hackerrank etc. No, I don't need bash shell scripting for the job. I just need to perform basic activities.

I'm also thinking of purchasing RHCSA question bank from Ghada Atef on udemy after I finish this RHCSA course. What other activities could I do to improve my Linux skill.

I'm obviously using Linux in a vmware workstation pro and doing along with the course on laptop.

Technology news on Phys.org
The most coomon tasks in Linux admin:
- maintaining the network connections
- maintaining and backing the filesystems
- workload leveling machines
- monitoring for vulnerabilities or odd workloads or odd sign-ons for users...
- maintaining the proper level of software updates
- identifying files based on some criteria to clean up some issue
- using the proc directory to learn things about the machine

I would start with scripts that can walk the filesystems looking for duplicates by name, by size, by date, by CRC check...

The trouble is the tasks in Linux Admin are so varied that your best bet is to know how to craft scripts to get the job done.

Look for linux cookbooks that will give you the pieces of script/commands needed to get something. Here's one I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0134277554/?tag=pfamazon01-20

• Informative
Likes berkeman
jedishrfu said:
workload leveling machines
With a good 19" rack, they seem pretty level to me. :smile:

jedishrfu said:
The most coomon tasks in Linux admin:
- maintaining the network connections
- maintaining and backing the filesystems
- workload leveling machines
- monitoring for vulnerabilities or odd workloads or odd sign-ons for users...
- maintaining the proper level of software updates
- identifying files based on some criteria to clean up some issue
- using the proc directory to learn things about the machine

I would start with scripts that can walk the filesystems looking for duplicates by name, by size, by date, by CRC check...

The trouble is the tasks in Linux Admin are so varied that your best bet is to know how to craft scripts to get the job done.

Look for linux cookbooks that will give you the pieces of script/commands needed to get something. Here's one I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0134277554/?tag=pfamazon01-20
The thing is that I don't need scripts so why learn it now? I do plan to learn scripting in the future, but atm I'd rather work on solidifying my programming concepts using c++ and javascript.

1. What are some common challenges faced by Linux administrators?

Some common challenges faced by Linux administrators include managing user accounts and permissions, ensuring system security, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, and keeping up with updates and patches.

2. How can Linux administrators mitigate the risk of security threats?

Linux administrators can mitigate the risk of security threats by implementing strong password policies, regularly updating and patching systems, monitoring system logs for suspicious activity, and using firewalls and other security measures.

3. How do Linux administrators handle system downtime or crashes?

In the event of system downtime or crashes, Linux administrators must quickly identify the cause of the issue and implement a solution, such as restarting the system or restoring from backups. They may also need to communicate with stakeholders and provide updates on the situation.

4. What are some best practices for managing updates and patches on Linux systems?

Some best practices for managing updates and patches on Linux systems include regularly checking for updates, testing them in a non-production environment before implementing in a live system, and keeping a record of all updates and changes made to the system.

5. How can Linux administrators troubleshoot hardware and software issues?

Linux administrators can troubleshoot hardware and software issues by gathering information from system logs and error messages, using diagnostic tools to identify problems, and researching solutions online or consulting with other experienced Linux administrators.